General Surgery Community
279 Members

Does anyone know what year they quit using surgical clips made with lead products?

I had surgery a very long time ago where surgical clips were left inside and they could be causing problems for me.  I was told that surgical clips were once made using lead products but they stopped using the ones made with lead and I want to find out when or what year they stopped using them.
I am not aware of when/if surgical clips were made of lead, but I know that 1978 is the cut off for paint containing lead in it- you can request a simple lead test (it's a quick blood draw) to see if that might be the cause if you are concerned about it.  Good luck!