Genetics Community
964 Members

Chorionic villus sampling

My friend is having this done... I was wondering what are some reasons you need to have it done? I think it is because her sister has a child with downs syndrome... not sure

Has anyone else had it done? Why?
Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) is a diagnostic test usually performed to determine fetal chromosomes, so it has the capability of detecting Down syndrome (and other major chromosomal abnormalities).  It is essentially a placental biopsy, whereby villi (cells from the placenta) are extracted (by needle or catheter) and viewed under a microscope.  Because it is an invasive procedure with some risk, it is not a routinely recommended in all pregnancies.

Best of luck to you and your friend!
~eureka
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research