A
A
A
Close
Genetics Community
964 Members
192055 tn?1263559137

Chorionic villus sampling

My friend is having this done... I was wondering what are some reasons you need to have it done? I think it is because her sister has a child with downs syndrome... not sure

Has anyone else had it done? Why?
1 Responses
419309 tn?1326506891
Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) is a diagnostic test usually performed to determine fetal chromosomes, so it has the capability of detecting Down syndrome (and other major chromosomal abnormalities).  It is essentially a placental biopsy, whereby villi (cells from the placenta) are extracted (by needle or catheter) and viewed under a microscope.  Because it is an invasive procedure with some risk, it is not a routinely recommended in all pregnancies.

Best of luck to you and your friend!
~eureka
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.