Genetics Community
964 Members

MTHFR Heterozygote

I had a positive test result of MTHFR:p.Ala222Val (A222V) heterozygote and MTHFR:p.Glu429Ala (E429A) heterozygote. I have had 2 miscarriages over the past 2 years using no medication. Pregnancies only last 6 weeks. I seem to have trouble ovulating. My periods are not regular. They come as they please. It has been three years now and still no baby  . I have been on Medroxyprogesterone 10mg and Clomid 50mg for a year with no luck of pregnancy. I feel that the Clomid stopped me from ovulating completely. I was just diagnosed with MTHFR. I have not talked to my doctor yet. He wanted me to start my period first before I came in, but having trouble with that. I have taken Medroxyprogesterone for five days now and nothing. I have tried researching MTHFR, but it’s all confusing. I was wondering if you can tell me in Layman’s terms of what this means and how can I treat it. I have been taking Folic Acid. Today I started taking Vitamin B6 100mg and B12 500mcg. Am I on the right path? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to compound heterozygous MTHFR question.
I have a double MTHFR gene mutation also. Basically you cannot absorb the Folic acid unless your taking metholated folate. There is a website called MTHFR .com that will explain all you ever wanted to know about the gene mutations and explain about folate. Typically B12 and B6 are recommended supplements for people with this gene mutation. It can also be a cause for pregnancy loss. I have lost several pregnancies and once I got my thyroid regulated and on the metholated folate I've been successful carrying this pregnancy so far. I'm 13.4 weeks today. I hope this info helps. Your doctor will have to determine if clomid is the right med for you. There are also meds like Femara that may work better for you.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.