Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetics Community
964 Members

Micro duplication Ch16 Speech Delay

My smart bright beautiful 2 year old daughter also has a speech delay and a micro-duplication on chromosome 16 with no other apparent issues thus far. We were also told is was very rare. How is your daughter doing? Have you been able to uncover any further information that you might be willing to share?  We are so blessed but its still been a scary process. Thank you.

1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
The medical concerns that exist for individuals with microduplication on chromosome 16 include an increased risk for seizures, and birth defects. Many people will have a delay in expressive language and may be having an increased risk of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.

You should consult a medical geneticist and get it evaluated.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.