muscle weakness

I have been suffering from muscle pain and weakness for about three and one half years.  I have had two MRI's and seen three neurologists.  My large muscles, mostly my arms and legs are weak and feel "squeezed" at times.  The pain can be unbearable at times.  I currently take 1200mg of neurontin, 800 mg CoQ 10, 15 mg, meloxicam daily.  I also have a cream used topically for the needle like pain I get in my toes.  The weakness seems to have been stable for the past 6 months.  The pain has been off the charts for about two weeks.  I have recently been having some breathing issues and have a chroninc or irritative cough since 9/2009.  I do have arthritus in my spine.  EMG's are normal.  MRI's show white matter damage, but supposedly doesn't look like MS.

Do you know of a condition that may be causing this?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
my son is having the same problem..we are waiting results from a skin and muscle biopsy. He is 18.  His left side seems more affected. They say he has gout..that is why his feet hurt...He use to bench press 305# and now a case of pop is the most he can carry and thats a big deal. he usually lays on the floor..his back muscles are tired by the end of the day lays on right side.little trouble swallowing..lower back pain..trouble climbing stairs. Testing at a genetic center now..all autoimmune test came back  neg.
Helpful - 0
keep on searching,test are not always conclusive and have to be repeated in some cases because the levels are constantly changing and sometimes tests are not always
true due to medications, hormones,thyroids,glands of all sorts.also keep in mind
not all insurances will cover repeat testing and some genetic counseling.I have looking at this site for a couple of weeks and I am sorry that there are so many of us but at
the same time it kind of makes you humble and less of a freak show.Not that any of us are but good luck and hope you get some relief soon.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Genetics Community

An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.