HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV Risks...Please help

Dr. Last Monday, while in Sao Paulo Brazil, I decided to visit a Gay Sauna, while having sex with a guy (i was the top) after maybe 30 seconds of penetration I decided that I had enough, after I pulled the condom from my penis, I noticed that there was something on the side of the head (feces), after a closer inspection I realized that there was a hole on the side of the condom. The condom did not break completly and i believe that the head of my penis was never exposed completely.
Of course I asked the guy before the act if he had anything, he claimed he didnt. After the fact I once again proceded to question him about his status, he once again said "I got tested 1 month ago, dont worry, I dont have anything".
I ran to the nearest ID hospital and the doctor put me on PEP, but the side effects are horrific.
My question is:  Based on what I told you, should I continue to take the meds, or was the risk to low ?

Thank you.;

-
Welcome to our forum. Despite what your partner told you, unless you were completely sure that he was not infected based on a current test result, I would urge you to do your best to continue the PEP.  If you have looked at other replies on this site you will see that this is not my typical response so let me outline the reasons I say this:

1.   HIV rates are relative high in Brazil.
2.  Casual hookups in places like gay sauna's are sites known to have a relatively high statistical probability of encountering infected clients.
3.  Despite your efforts to practice safe sex, the condom sounds as though it broke.  (Please do not give up your commitment to condom protected sex.  condoms remain the best protection that there is for sexually active persons engaging in sex with new/casual partners even though they fail about 1% of the time).  
4.  Among the spectrum of sexual activities, insertional rectal sex is the sex act with the highest statistical probability of resulting in transmission of infection.

I hope these comments are helpful and am sorry to hear of your problems with side effects.  I presume you are taking your PEP under the oversight of a physician and as such suggest you review things with him/her- perhaps there are things you can do to reduce the side effects.  EWH
Thank you for the answer.
One last question:
- I understand that if the person was HIV+, my chances of contracting the virus would be 1 in 200 or 0.50%. My questions is, statisticly how much would the PEP treatment lower thoses chances ?

Once again thank you for your help.
Sorry, I forgot one last detail.

How soon after the 28 days can I be sure that a negative test result is actually negative?
It is difficult to tell how much PEP reduces HIV risk but if started within 72 hours of exposure it would reduce risk by more than half, perhaps as much as 90%. there are many variables.

Testing for 3 months following completion of PEP is the standard recommendation although most infections should be detectable in 4-8 weeks. EWH

Dr. No matter what I do the side effects wont subside... just a horrible situtation...
I was thinking on doing a PCR DNA test tomorow - 7 days from exposure. Would a negative result be enough for me to stop taking the PEP?
No, I would not promise you maximal effectiveness if you were to stop PEP at this time.  The benefits of a single day of PEP are unknown.  Talk with your doctor about an alternate regimen. EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.