HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV test results effected?

Hi, and thanks for a great and informational forum.  I had a exposure risk nine months ago...one time, and my partner claimed they were HIV negative.  It was anonymous and unprotected, however.  After several months of waiting, and processing what I thought were symptoms, I was tested (eight months and 2 weeks after the exposure risk...so well beyond the window period).  It was an oral test, the quick response kind.  The results were negative. However, at the time, I was taking cipro for an intestinal infection, and flonase (corticosteroid inhalant) for a sinus infection.  Also, I regularly take glucophage and lisinopril for diabetes type 2.  I have been concerned that perhaps those medications may have caused a false negative.  Can I rely on the results of that oral test, or should I  be retested?  My anxiety on this approaches unbearable.  Again, thanks for your help.
You can absolutely rely on the negative HIV test result.  Almost no drug or medical condition makes an HIV test falsely negative.  That might be a concern if you were deathly sick from some other illness or were taking potent cancer chemotherapy.  But not diabetes or any of the drugs you mention.

I hope this helps.  Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you.  I have begun therapy today for obsessive-compulsive and anxiety disorders.  I believe this will help me move forward, as your counsel has done.  This site is tremendous, and I thank you personally for your willingness to address these issues with us.
I was wondering the very same thing. At the time of my Oraquick Advance Swab test, i tested negative around the 11-12 week mark. At the time I was taking Amoxicillin. An antibiotic taken every 8 hours to treat my flu. I had to complete the medication all the way through and I had a couple of days left at the time my test was taken.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.