HIV - Prevention Forum

Testing Required??

Good Drs,

I first want to say thanks for all the good work you guys do on this forum.

4 days ago, I had an encounter with a CSW in NYC.  It was completely protected for both vaginal and oral sex (oral to me only). Obviously, i dont think there was any real risk there - however - what is bothering me is that she used a prostate sex toy on me (i guess it was a dildo) although it was dark in the room and i didnt really see it.   I believe she used a condom on it and she said it was clean - but i have no way of knowing.

The sex toy was used rather vigorously and i dont know if this considered a high risk exposure or not.  I searched the forums and the web and the only thing that i saw was that it could possible be a risk if used in succession with another individual - and that definitely not done.  It was used on me and me alone (at least for that session).

I am obviously worried and any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Your assessment of your risk is right on target. Ther is little if any risk to you from protected sex with anyone, including a CSW. As for the sex toy, once again there is very, very little risk when the toys are used in the fashion you describe.  HIV is not a very "hardy" virus and thus the exposure to air during the interval between your use and whenever it was used previously, as well as cleaning would eliminate any HIV which might have (but probably weren't) on it from prior use.  

Hope this helps. EWH  
Thanks much for your prompt reply - last follow up: would testing be indicated for this type of exposure?

Thanks again.

Periodic testing as screening for HIV, as well as STD is always a good idea for person who have had multiple or new partners.  There is nothing abotu this particular expsoure whic puts you at high risk.  EWH
Thanks again.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.