HIV - Prevention Forum

too many what if thoughts making me crazy ???

Hi Doc, I
Indeed anal warts are seen fairly frequently in heterosexual men with no rectal sexual exposure.  I don't know why you assume they came from only a single exposure.  They could have originated with any number of your various sexual encounters, not necessarily the one with the broken condom.

1) HPV probably is more easily transmitted than other STD.  Never once have I seen a heterosexual man with a rectal STD other than HPV.  Forget it.

2) The fissure and warts probably are just coincidental.  If the surgeon said you had a skin tag, it was a skin tag.

3 and 4)  Your mononucleosis or probably was just that, due to either the classical cause (Epstein Barr virus, EBV) or other viruses that mimic it (e.g., cytomegalovirus, CMV).  If the exact cause isn't known by now, probalby it never will be.  If you're concerned about HIV, get tested for it, to ease your mind.  (Or check with the provider who diagnosed it.  You might have already been tested for HIV at that time.)  But based on your sexual lifestyle and practices, your risks for HIV clearly are zero or close to it--and EBV, CMV, and other viruses (perhaps including some not even identified) are far more likely causes of that illness than HIV.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
So in conclusion, based on my exposures and risks, I was at 0 risk from HIV or any other STDs apart from the anal warts I got, and I should just forget about all of this and don't need any HIV/STD testing. DO YOU AGREE?

Thanks again so much doc, you really do a wonderful job here helping worried people like me and others.
I would suggest you have an hiv test to ease your fears.  You were entirely safe in your sexcapades, but there were a couple of times when the condom slipped.  Getting tested is really only the scariest part.  If you don't, I have a feeling that every symptom that you experience in the future, you will have it somewhere in the back of your mind that its due to hiv.  I don't think you should ask the doctor whether or not he agrees that you should not be tested.  It should be a personal choice.  It seems like your looking for reassurance that you don't have it.  He can tell you don't.  But to actually see it in the test results is a different thing.  That's the ultimate relief.  And believe it or not, you will be glad you did when it's all over.  Again, it's only a suggestion.  I have a feeling it will help put your mind at ease in the long run.
Thanks so much sparkeler, i will muster up the courage to get it done. what do i say when i go to the doctors. do i just say i want an HIV test and STD test? can i go to a walk in clinic to demand this kind of test? is there certain ones i should be tested for.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the thanks.  I only suggest this to you b/c I had a long battle with irrational fears of hiv.  It began when I was 16.  It got so bad that I wouldn't get out of bed b/c I thought I was dying of hiv.  I even asked people I barely knew if they thought I had it, (now if that won't send somebody running in the opposite direction, lol.) Everything I experienced was hiv.  I was scared before I even had actual sex.  I had everyone in the world tell me I was crazy. My friends/family would tell me I didn't have hiv but I couldn't convince myself.  I had to get tested.  Believe me the first couple of times I got tested, even the doctors thought I was nuts b/c of the way that I was handeling this fear.  I  asked them to just have me committed instead of telling me the bad news.  I had no clue how approach the situation or the subjuect.  Through the years of intense therapy, (this by the way wasn't the only thing I obsessed over) I finally learned to accept it as a fear and thats it. But you have to have the courage to look at your fear straight in the face. I don't let it control me or turn me into this crazy girl.  The best way to go about it is to say to your doctor, "I'd like to be screened for std's and hiv."  You don't have to give him a reason, but, if he asks just say "No reason other than I feel like it's the responsible thing for me to do."  That's it.  Because it is responsible and rewarding in the end.  And so you don't obsess over your health or your wife's.  Good luck.
Just to add they will usually test you for chlamydia, ghonnorea, and syphillis in the std screening. You have to ask for hiv and I believe herpes test.  If you choose to get a herpes test ask for the herpes select type test.  If you don't have any symptoms of herpes, (i.e., visible sores) then you could leave that one out.
going to be married soon. since i've been with my gf i have not once cheated. all these concerns were in the past, and i always have had safe sex, always used a condom.
Thanks to all your guys support, really appreciate it.
"So in conclusion, based on my exposures and risks, I was at 0 risk from HIV or any other STDs apart from the anal warts I got, and I should just forget about all of this and don't need any HIV/STD testing. DO YOU AGREE?"

Your risk is low enough that you do not need HIV or STD testing from a strictly medical or risk analysis perspective.  But sparkeler suggested, intellectual understanding of zero risk doesn't always translate into psychological acceptance.  If that applies to you, get tested for peace of mind.

HHH, MD
thank you for your honesty and sharing such personal things. I have felt the exact same way as you before, regarding hiv risks and testing. completely terrified. I understand why you got freaked out when you gave blood a few weeks ago but I'm sure everything will be just fine!
Thank you.  Testing is never easy.  Even giving blood for the sake of saving a life terrifies me b/C it drudges up that old monster.  But learning to differentiate logic and fear can be easier said then done.  Especially when your giving advice.  I still have to tell myself to be rational.  I actually was taught exercises to ease my fears.  But coming on these forums actually helps me realize how irrational I can be.  It is very gratifying.
are you married guy?? why are you having such risky encounters, are you not being monogamous?
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.