HIV Prevention Community

Test results

My results are due Monday and I really don't want to go get them. I'm so afraid of what they will tell me. How do you all make yourselves go get your results?
What was the exposure that you're worried about?
1 time unprotected sex. I'm a white female. He was a black male. i know that a 1 time exposure is considered low but it lasted a long time. He says he has been tested and doesn't have anything but I'm just not sure. i don't know if I believe him or not. He has sort of a shaddy past that I just found out about.  
ur right I can edcuate myself about it but just the thought terrifies me. I don't think I have the guts to go get them now that it's almost time. I had to wait 2 weeks for them and now i don't want to know.
are you testing at 3 months? if you are then they are conclusive. Good luck! I was just going through the same thing.
Get someone close to come with you.
if i had hiv i would want to know as early as possible.

finding out means two things:

#1  you are able to start seeking treatment and educating yourself

#2  you will hopefully NOT infect anyone else

if you are negative...please protect yourself in the future so that you do not put yourself in this situation again.
no i don't that is what is making it so hard. i'm alone in this.
Here's a quote from the Doctor that should make you feel better:
"HIV in women in the United States is almost exclusively limited to the either injection drug users, or those who have been the long time sex partners of an HIV-infected man. In the 25 years I have worked at my clinic in which we see thousands of patients per year, I have not once seen a woman who tested positive after only one sexual encounter. The likelihood is that every year in the United States, virtually no one contracts HIV after only one episode of heterosexual sex."
Sorry about the multiple posts. My browser went a little wacky.
Yes I tested at 14 weeks post. So my results will be conclusive. I'm so sick just thinking about walking in there and getting my results.
that does make me feel a little better but it's still hard to believe you know. I was stupid for one time in my whole life and I have paid dearly for it. Even if the results are negetive this has been such an emotional thing that I will never do anything crazy in my life again.
I was really scared to call and get my test result, but the rational part of my brain was telling me my chances of NOT having it outweight the chance I would have it...so I just picked up the phone and called, my heart was beating the whole time and when you are waiting for them to tell you it feels like time has stopped and I couldnt breathe.

when you hear you are negative you will be so glad you called.
jeffhaley - I actually liked the echo effect you made in your post.   =P

terrified2death - I will also be testing this Monday, but with oraquick, so we'll find out results the same day.
I am in the exact same position as you right now...terrified that one slip up will ruin my life...but bluebell is right about the chances of being NEGATIVE far outweighing the chances of being positive...i understand the anxiety because I've been calculating my chances of a)actually having been with someone with HIV and b)actually contracting HIV in terms of a SINGLE exposure...trust me when i say that even with a 0.05% chance for 'a' and 1/1000 chance for 'b'...im still terrified...you're nt alone in regretting and swearing off this risky activity......on another note thanks to jeffhaley, your post made ME feel a little easier...