Heart Rhythm Community

PVC's and sleep apnea

I currently have sleep apnea and have been on the cpap machine.  Here is the real kicker when i wear the cpap i wake up and sneeze continuously plus nose is running and congested. Either i get a good night sleep and I am sick the whole next day or I am tired the next day and do not feel sick.  All the dr's i have gone to don't seem to be doing anything.  I recently went to strictly a sleep dr and they are changing my machine out to an auto machine which i will pick up today.  In the meantime I have had these PVC's going crazy on me.  They put me on a Beta Blocker for me it made it worse.  I have seen two cardiologist and have been through a series of test.  Now they want to do an ablasion in about a month. The Surgeon is just super busy will have this done sooner if there is a cancellation.  I would like to get some input on this.  By the way the PVC's all started a year ago they were discoverd when I had to have rotator cuff surgery.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Couple of questions for you:

How long have you ben on CPAP?
Do you know your pressure setting on your machine?
Does your machine have a humidifier?
Do you know what your AHI (apnea-hypopnea index) was prior to CPAP?

Before I got on CPAP, and for a while afterwards, I had many PVC's daily.  I had very severe OSA, and I believe that my heart was reacting to dangerously low O2 levels, and pure exhaustion.  My blood was over-enriched with red cells, very similar to people who live at high altitude, a condition call Secondary Polycythemia.  CPAP corrected just about all of these symptoms, but sice I was predisposed to PVC's I still got them occasionally, but not at the rate I had prior.  My beta blocker metoprolol seemed to have no effect of PVC rates.  I can tell you that ablation for PVC's yoelds mixed results.  In the meantime, read up on the procedure and learn a little about the it.
As my wife would say to me, "you're just falling apart"  :-)  I mean that in a funny way, when I've had that many things going on at once my wife would kid around with me like that.

Anyways, it might be best in your head to divide and conquer.  Perhaps the increase in PVCs is related to the CPAP issues or maybe not.  It's so hard to tell.

So let's focus on the PVCs.

What part of your heart are the PVCs originating from?  How many per day?  Have you had an echo to assess the structure of your heart?   Have you had tests to check for ischemia?  Are the PVCs Isolated or are you getting them in runs, bigeminy (every other beat), trigeminy (every 3rd systole is a PVC)...

You may not know the answers to these questions, try to find out the info.  
I have been on the cpap almost a year.  My pressure setting is 9.  My CPAP does have a humidifier on it.  I am having about 8000 PVC's per day.  I have been through extended testing.  The metropolol has not done me any good except to bring my heart rate down to 40.  These are originating from the lower channel of the heart.  I currently went to a sleep dr where the other was a pulmonary specialist.  I just picked up new cpap yesterday and it is an auto so it will adjust my levels automatically.  I will have this for 4 weeks.  But when I woke up today the sneezing started again it is like i am allergic to it.  My heart muscles are good i have no blockage anywhere.  I will try this new machine to see if it does anything.  The electtophysiology explained everything to me and it sounds like the surgery will correct it.  The PVC's are isolated and or every other beat
I'm sorry you continue to experience the PVC's.  A year on CPAP would seem to certainly be enough time to correct them if your OSA was the problem.  While a lot of us here have had The EP procedure with ablation (including me), it was for SVT.  I can't think of anyone offhnd that had the procedure specifically for PVC's.  I use a humidifier almost year round, but found that high moisture levels made me stuff in the morning, so I make sure that it's not too high.  CPAP really restarted my life, and I'm thankful that my GP who is also pulmonary specialist, questioned me in depth about my sleep habits when he saw the high red blood cell count on a blood test, and got me on track for a sleep study.  I hope you can find a resolution to your PVC's.
From what I know the highest success rate for benign PVC ablation are those that occur in the right ventricular outflow tract or RVOT.  I'm not familiar with PVCs sources in the lower channel ('m not sure what that means).  Is that in the left or right ventricle?  do you know that actual structure name for the source?

I ask because knowing where they originate from can help with making a decision on whether to ablate them.
I have sleep apnea and Afib (under control right now on Norpace Cr and Atenolol), occasional pac's, pvc's and short runs of tachycardia.  I have been using a cpap machine with humidifier since 2003.  Last year I had 2 Afib episodes and my cardiologist send me to the heart clinic's sleep clinic for another study.  They found  bi-pap worked better, sent me home and after a month I took my machine back and they extracted the data on a card and determined it was working properly.  I never had such a thorough study and follow up done before.  After my last hospitalization for Afib, I learned that 50% of the cases are due to sleep apnea.  My pressure setting is 14.  I use a Nasal Aire II device (kind of like how oxygen is deilvered, only larger), no mask pressing on my face.  I use Ayr Saline Mist before bedtime, as well as Ayr nasal gel and Breath Right strips to keep my nasal passages open.  I also have a humidifier on my machine. I hope some of this helps.  Good luck.