Normal vit D levels are associated with hbsag seroclearance.

Normal vitamin D levels are associated with spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance.
Mahamid M, Nseir W, Abu Elhija O, Shteingart S, Mahamid A, Smamra M, Koslowsky B.
Source
Mahmud Mahamid, Shimon Shteingart, Mosab Smamra, Benjamin Koslowsky, Digestive Disease Institute, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem 93722, Israel.
Abstract
AIM:
To investigate a possible association between serum vitamin D levels and spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) seroclearance.
METHODS:
Fifty-three patients diagnosed with chronic inactive hepatitis B and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance were followed up in two Israeli liver units between 2007 and 2012. This retrospective study reviewed medical charts of all the patients, extracting demographic, serological and vitamin D rates in the serum, as well as medical conditions and current medical therapy. Spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance was defined as the loss of serum HBsAg indefinitely. Vitamin D levels were compared to all patients who underwent spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
RESULTS:
Out of the 53 patients who underwent hepatitis B antigen seroclearance, 44 patients (83%) had normal levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin vitamin D compared to 9 patients (17%) who had below normal levels. Multivariate analysis showed that age (> 35 years) OR = 1.7 (95%CI: 1.25-2.8, P = 0.05), serum vitamin D levels (> 20 ng/mL) OR = 2.6 (95%CI: 2.4-3.2, P = 0.02), hepatitis B e antigen negativity OR = 2.1 (95%CI: 2.2-3.1, P = 0.02), low viral load (hepatitis B virus DNA  8 years) OR = 1.6 (95%CI: 1.15-2.6, P = 0.04) were also associated with spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
CONCLUSION:
We found a strong correlation between normal vitamin D levels and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
A correlation can't be made easy and you don't compare Entecavir with Vit D. Until now we have a correlation made by some study between Vit D level and AgHbs seroclearance, but you don't know if is the cause or effect.
these are not drugs with direct effect these vitamins just balance immune system disfunction probably and the effect is seen in years, even an acute hbv with full immune system power requires 6-12months to clear hbsag

the effect is: increase of trl7 receptor which in turn senses infected cells, increase of ll37

just a guess:
there was also a study posted long time ago studying hbsag seroclearance on chronic hbv carriers and they checked all immune parameters and could not find any difference on immune system so the study concluded "there must be some other effect other than immune system to clear hbsag", this could be ll37 which of course requires decades for hbsag clearance, not months or a year
the decades part really is depressing..
This is one of the most promising studies relating Vit D's effect on liver damage (fibrosis), although human results are awaited.

http://www.salk.edu/news/pressrelease_details.php?press_id=612

2 questions:
1. This Calcipotriol type of VitD mentioned in above study available in market?
2. You have mentioned the good effects of 125VitD. Many of us have not been taking this or K2 (MK-7). I, for example have been only taking avg 4000 iu vid D3 daily for last 6-7 months. Last checked serum Ca about 2 months ago and it was mid normal range. Will check again in 3-4 days. What do I have to worry about while just taking vid d3 only? What is the good vitD regime (not intake quantity, i know-that would vary from patient to patient; but i want to know about K2 and 125 type vitD) for hbvers? and is this K2(MK-7) generally available?

good.
now we must start trying  calcipotriol (a drug already approved by the FDA for the treatment of psoriasis)  instead of cholecalciferol vit d
you just have to use vitamin d3 which is the natural type and the most absorbable one, the synthetic forms are not good at all.they are patented and so drug makers showed some studies trying to claim it was good, it has no effect on calcium and so on....but the natural form has the better health effects and are also themost studied

4000iu daily will never make your vitd25oh superior to 150ng/ml and so your caclium will never get abnormal, so if you like you can avoid k2 vitamin.but it is wise to take k2 because it showed very high hcc prevention effect

i use k2 too because i take 15.000-20.000iu of d3 daily to keep d3 to 70-90ng/ml, i started with 4000iu many years ago but it didn t work on me, d3 stayed severely deficent at 25ng/ml any of us has different response probably due to liver damage/hbv suppression of d3 and for doses higher than 5000-10.000iu daily it is best to combo with vit k2

i take both d3 and k2 from puritans because cheaper but solgar is for sure a better quality if you can afford.
bio-tech is also a very good brand for vit d and makes very high dose pills from 5000 to 50000iu for those severely deficent
most studies on cirrhosis and fibrosis are done with the natural form of d3 and none of the sides posted in the page you linked have been proven (it is part of drug makers disinformation), i think it is criminal what they posted because they are trying to sell a patented drug telling lies about the cheap unpatentable natural form

Prescription Vitamin D (D2) Not Suitable for Supplementation Say Researchers
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Prescription+Vitamin+D+(D2)+Not+Suitable+for+Supplementation+Say+Researchers

Vitamin D2 did not help Lupus (no surprise, D2 was given weekly) – June 2013
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+did+not+help+Lupus+(no+surprise,+D2+was+given+weekly)+%E2%80%93+June+2013

MS worse with Vitamin D2 - Oct 2011
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/MS+worse+with+Vitamin+D2+-+Oct+2011

Vitamin D2 DECREASED blood levels of Vitamin D3 by 12 ng – RCT July 2012
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+DECREASED+blood+levels+of+Vitamin+D3+by+12+ng+%E2%80%93+RCT+July+2012
so it is best not to trust the synthetic forms of d3 until we see big human trials, since the synthetic forms are patented and they make a lot of money they must prove any claim by very big human trials here they are making claims from in vitro studies while the studies on the natural form of d3 were animal studies and human studies

natural d3 studies:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Liver
why you say that Cholecalciferol is not natural ?
I had a look on the internet and they claim is natural

http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Vitamin-D3-Cholecalciferol-5000-IU-Vegetable-Capsules.htm

Could you, please,  be more specific in difference between Vit D3 and Cholecalciferol?
Cholecalciferol is d3 and it is the only natural form, i did not post it is synthetic, it is all the others to be synthetic.it is also easier to call them d3 and d2 because the full names are made to make confusion

calcipotriol, the one in the study posted for example, is a synthetic form patented as drug,
drug makers know all the effects of vitd and tried to patent the natural form too, they are still trying to and being rejected, in the meantime they patented many similar synthetic forms but as long as the natural form is around the business will work partially because they can only force few doctors to prescribe the expensive patented form instead of the cheap natural form
decades ago doctors prescribed the d2 form but you have to use at least the double dose of d3 like 100.000iu ranges to make it work and in some cases it doesn t even work, today it is rare, at least in italy, to use that form
How can vit d help us..?.and vit c that can help infection can help us?
read before posting it is useless to post the way you are doing....the answers are already in the posts
there are already protocol for vit d, i found for example multiple sclerosis which is treated with interferon which doesn t cure the disease but only stops the development of new lesions after intf is finished the disease relapses...but we are interested to high dose vit d treatment which cures multiple sclerosis and clears lesions which are 5-10 years old.older lesions cannot be cleared but diasese is stopped anyway.
this is very good experience because more than 1000 patients are cured by this protocol
they take vit d to high range 160ng/ml under doctor supervision for calcium kinetics, normal vit d is 50-100ng/ml and non toxic vit d is less than 160ng/ml, to do this safely without damaging kidneys a strict non calcium diet is a must, so they do under expert doctor supervision:

weekly and then monthly:
serum calcium
unrine calcium
ionized calcium
creatinine
bun
phosphorus

less frequently:
pth
vitamin b12
vitd25ohd3
vitd1.25ohd3
calciuria 24hrs
phoshorus24hrs
phosphate
chrome
magnesium

water or healthy beverages 2,5 liters per day
no diary products whatsoever, no yogurts, milk, cheese, no calcium added in drinks or foods
no bananas

i already do this except for yogurts which i will cancel from my diet for now, i dont see vit k2 added to this protocol but maybe info on vit k2 and calcium kinetic control is news, anyway i keep taking 400mcg of vit k2, i find solgar as the best brand and puritans the cheaper, i personally refer solgar for vit k2

i think we can take vit d levels to 100ng/ml or little higher (gmr member already did vitd about 110-120ng/ml with no effects on calcium) and see what happens to hbsag, hbvdna, ast-alt in about 6 months if we follow this strict diet and controls

i also think this may work on hbeag negative because hbeag positive are too immune tollerant on hbv
safe doses of vit d3 are till 10.000iu daily, higher doses are not safe for calcium and if planning to use doses like 15.000 or higher it is absolutely needed:
diet, doctor supervision and frequent calcium tests

ATTENTION:
if calcium rises over normal range irreversible damage to kidneys may happen and hemodialisis needed, so this is not something to do without doctor and frequent tests supervision

safe vit d3 doses 10.000iu daily, blood vitd3 normal range 50-100ng/ml, higher doses and higher serum levels may rise serum calcium
me and my sister will try this and keep vitd25oh to around 100ng/ml, we will be doctor supervised and will not go for 160ng/ml unless we see a clear hbsag and hbvdna decline, we are of course both hbeag negative, me on therapy and my sister off any therapy
I read a few artices about vit D and immunity and it looks like it upregulates innate immunity and downregulates addaptive immunity. There are so many research on this subject so there is no doubts that it is the truth.

The question is how it works on our virus. I think that on the stage of clearing hbsag (cccDNA) innate immunity should work and supplementing vit D can be beneficial, but when hbsAg comes to the small values and hbsAb should come up it is better to stop vit D supplementation, it should help develop AB faster.
As for the dosage, I am not sure that 25-OH is a fair indicator of what goes on with vit metabolism in the body, 1,25-OH could also to be monitored. But I can not find any commercial laboratory doing that test.

I wonder what Studyforhope think on this matter.....?
vit d regulates immune system, it doesn not up and down but as you can see from multiple sclerosis they have a cure but nobody except patients and assocciations talk about it...on the contrary they keep spending money on research to prove immune suppression/toxicity...it is always the same game where they lose money with unpatented substances they cover or ignore, so we have to find this ourselves but being very careful about calcium if we go higher than 100ng/ml

i tried googling mad to see if any ever studied therapeutic doses of vit d and MS is the only one i found, nothing on hbv,hcv

this is the subtitled documentary i found on this subject and then some patients blog, some associations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAgu1XcY-U

http://mscure.aussieblogs.com.au/

they also pointed this website with all scientific research on vitamin d but i had no time to check this too

http://scirus.com/
it doesn not up and down

my guess is, the more vit d around the more reaches VDR receptor which is always blocked by viruses to make chronicity.so once the immune system is activated it clears the viruses or whatever and then settle down the immune system after the virus is cleared...so you can read this as immune suppression which is actually what immune system always does....it first attacks and once the battle is won it downregulates by tregs and other immune system cells

anyway it is good if some not on any therapy like my sister and hbeag negative try this and then we compare here
Check this up
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2678245/#!po=25.8621
Does not look to be sponsored by anybody and much more scientific than the blog of vit d enthuziasts.

MS by the way is not a virus disease, probably autoimune one that may well ne cured with immunomodulators that vit d is.
Hi Stef....did you seroconvert to HBeAg negative when on anti-viral or did you always have HBeAg negative from your first diagnosis of your HBV infection? Same question for your sister. Thanks.