Hepatitis C Community

end signs of cirrohsis also needs heart valve replacement

My Dad is in end stages it seems of cirrohsis.. he has been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the past few months.  The first time was bleeding internally he was given many transfusions.  He was sent home and 4 weeks later swelled with fluid.  They drained much of this fluid from him and sent him home again.  He was diagnosed also as needing a heart valve replacement.  Two cardiologist at that time told him he was not a candidate for the surgery  (he is 72)... 3 weeks later he seemed to have lost his mind.  He didn't know my brother's name and was almost coma like state.  They seem to have this under control with diratetics.  He is no longer drinking!!!  His primary tells him if his liver counts keep coming back up he will be a candidate for heart valve replacement.  I know this might be rare but has anyone ever heard of this?  I would like to believe that he is on the right road but my family needs to know the truth.
If the change in alcohol habits was extreme and recent - that would offer some hope that things might improve some. The out-of-mind stuff is probably encephalopathy (sp?). A diet that restricts animal protien can help. So can a medication called lactulose, and also probiotics.

Diet is a big factor in liver disease, and a very regemented diet might help alot. Low salt, low or no refined sugar, very restricted carbs like pasta and potatoes. There are some supplements that could have a favorable impact too - but I'll leave that discussion to someone more knowledgeable.

Sorry for your troubles.

By the way - most of us here are patients with liver disease - my comments are not qualified medical advice.    
i am very sorry to hear of your Dads health. By the sound of your note, these last few months have been precarious for him and all your family. He appears to be very sick with some very serious disease not only in his liver and portal system, but also his heart and lungs. (the lungs will suffer some assault in combination of the liver/heart disease).
While it is impossible to answer your question to how serious this all is, i can advise you all this together is very serious.  That he has made some progress to be released from the hospital,  now more than ever he must be compliant to take all his meds and follow up with the doctors.  He may have hepatitic encephalopathy (confusion and disorientation) if he does not take his medications that prevent the build up of ammonia in his body caused by liver disease which might make him even harder to care for and in need for constant supervision.  With the problems he has he very well might find himself returning to the hospital often in the days ahead. As his family alot of his care and convalescence will need to be supported which will be hard for you all but so necessary for him. i encourage you to read medical literature on his particular diagnoses, and ask questions to his doctors who can give you the best information as to exactly what is his prognosis. If your Dad is unable to talk about this it will be important for the closest relative to perhaps call the doctor and have a phone conference with him. This is a very good time for your father to develop an Advance Directive and living will that will honor his intent on medical care and resusitation should he become to ill to make this decision in the moment. Also discuss how far he wants to pursue the medical options (understaning all risks) that his doctors may offer him. As hard as these kind of discussions are to have you all may find some peace after talking about them and especially your Dad.
Take care, and i hope your family enjoys a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. i sincerely hope his health improves and you all enjoy time together.
best regards  Whrose
Hi dear girl, "it seems" and "end stages" are words many of us here may have toruble with

what kind kind of internal bleeding?

the liver is the most amazing organ in it's sytem, but can also take all the others with it.

I hope your there for him, and if you write things here you must be interested in his welfare.
I wish you good luck and tell you as a health care professional "never say never" he can go on.

I hope he does

Lani
Bravo Goofydad, you are right on:

"If the change in alcohol habits was extreme and recent - that would offer some hope that things might improve some. The out-of-mind stuff is probably encephalopathy (correct spelling it is). A diet that restricts animal protien can help. So can a medication called lactulose, and also probiotics.

Diet is a big factor in liver disease, and a very regemented diet might help alot. Low salt, low or no refined sugar, very restricted carbs like pasta and potatoes "

2x600 mg N-acetylcystein Plus 2x 500mg Vit-C  daily are some minimal extra measures to try  The lactulose has to go in right away, his doc should already have prescribed it - it is OTC in Canada and some parts of Europe.

And of course all his meds, since his mind might wander off, should be monitored for compliance by his family members....
If the Vitamin C is ripping up your gut (pH of 2.5) then Alacer has a "Supergram II" that has a neutral pH form of C on a time release.

for what that's worth
Bravo Goofydad, you are right on:

Maybe I'm more than just a pretty face, after all!