A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
30678 tn?1217992847

Ammonia levels and hcv

Has anyone had any problems with ammonia levels being elevated. My doctor prescribed lactulose for the problem. Just curious if anyone else has had the same problem.
13 Responses
Hi,
My doctor has never mentioned anything like that to me. Do they automatically test everyone for it or was there a reason the doc tested you?

Sorry, coldfeet, i don't know anything about this, but I'm sure somebody on board will be able to give you info shortly.

I will be curious in reading the response also, for my own information also.

Have a nice night.
91778 tn?1252558770
Lactulose is a synthetic sugar used to treat constipation. It is broken down in the colon into products that pull water out from the body and into the colon. This water softens stools. Lactulose is also used to reduce the amount of ammonia in the blood of patients with liver disease. It works by drawing ammonia from the blood into the colon where it is removed from the body.
I don't know much about this, but I know people with cirrhosis take it.
Hope this helps... Take care, Debi
I have not had this issue but I found this info about it what did the doc say about it?

"Lactulose is known as an 'osmotic laxative'. Lactulose is made up of sugar molecules which are broken down by the bacteria that live in the lower part of the gut. This leads to the contents of the gut becoming more acidic. The acidification of the contents of the gut causes a reduction in the absorption of a chemical called ammonia. The presence of ammonia in the gut causes water to be drawn into the lower bowel, which causes an increase in the water content and volume of the stools, therefore relieving constipation.

Lactulose is also used in higher doses to help reduce a complication associated with liver disease called hepatic encephalopathy. In this condition, there is a build up of a chemical called ammonia in the blood, as the liver is not able to convert it into a safe chemical. This leads to adverse effects on the brain. By acidifying the contents of the gut, lactulose reduces the absorption of ammonia from the gut, therefore preventing the adverse effects experienced by people with liver disease."

Hope this is helpful. How are you doing? Is the ammnoia causing you problems or did the doc find it in your blood work but you dont have symptoms from it?
30678 tn?1217992847
Thanks for the info, From what I understand from my Dr. a high ammonia leval in the blood is an indication that protiens are by passing the liver, possibly from bridging or scaring in the liver. The norm is 0-40 anything over 60 can cause encelopathy, another word for brain fog. I have for months run from 450 to 619, my Dr. says I should be in a coma, lol and he's writing a paper on me. I don't know if I should feel honored by this or not, but he can't believe I carry on a conversation and joke about it. He makes me drink that lactelose 3 times a day and it still stays the same. another Doc told me his friend had a leval of 65 and drove to the store in louisiana and ended up out of gas in mississippi and don't remember driving. So if your Dr. hasn't added it to your bllod work have him do at least one just to be sure. I should also mention the Med help web says its not a perfect indicator, I guess not lol. thx all
30678 tn?1217992847
Thanks for the info, From what I understand from my Dr. a high ammonia leval in the blood is an indication that protiens are by passing the liver, possibly from bridging or scaring in the liver. The norm is 0-40 anything over 60 can cause encelopathy, another word for brain fog. I have for months run from 450 to 619, my Dr. says I should be in a coma, lol and he's writing a paper on me. I don't know if I should feel honored by this or not, but he can't believe I carry on a conversation and joke about it. He makes me drink that lactelose 3 times a day and it still stays the same. another Doc told me his friend had a leval of 65 and drove to the store in louisiana and ended up out of gas in mississippi and don't remember driving. So if your Dr. hasn't added it to your bllod work have him do at least one just to be sure. I should also mention the Med help web says its not a perfect indicator, I guess not lol. thx all
30678 tn?1217992847
sorry accidently hit button twice
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.