Hepatitis C Community

Ammonia levels and hcv

Has anyone had any problems with ammonia levels being elevated. My doctor prescribed lactulose for the problem. Just curious if anyone else has had the same problem.
My doctor has never mentioned anything like that to me. Do they automatically test everyone for it or was there a reason the doc tested you?

Sorry, coldfeet, i don't know anything about this, but I'm sure somebody on board will be able to give you info shortly.

I will be curious in reading the response also, for my own information also.

Have a nice night.
Lactulose is a synthetic sugar used to treat constipation. It is broken down in the colon into products that pull water out from the body and into the colon. This water softens stools. Lactulose is also used to reduce the amount of ammonia in the blood of patients with liver disease. It works by drawing ammonia from the blood into the colon where it is removed from the body.
I don't know much about this, but I know people with cirrhosis take it.
Hope this helps... Take care, Debi
I have not had this issue but I found this info about it what did the doc say about it?

"Lactulose is known as an 'osmotic laxative'. Lactulose is made up of sugar molecules which are broken down by the bacteria that live in the lower part of the gut. This leads to the contents of the gut becoming more acidic. The acidification of the contents of the gut causes a reduction in the absorption of a chemical called ammonia. The presence of ammonia in the gut causes water to be drawn into the lower bowel, which causes an increase in the water content and volume of the stools, therefore relieving constipation.

Lactulose is also used in higher doses to help reduce a complication associated with liver disease called hepatic encephalopathy. In this condition, there is a build up of a chemical called ammonia in the blood, as the liver is not able to convert it into a safe chemical. This leads to adverse effects on the brain. By acidifying the contents of the gut, lactulose reduces the absorption of ammonia from the gut, therefore preventing the adverse effects experienced by people with liver disease."

Hope this is helpful. How are you doing? Is the ammnoia causing you problems or did the doc find it in your blood work but you dont have symptoms from it?
Thanks for the info, From what I understand from my Dr. a high ammonia leval in the blood is an indication that protiens are by passing the liver, possibly from bridging or scaring in the liver. The norm is 0-40 anything over 60 can cause encelopathy, another word for brain fog. I have for months run from 450 to 619, my Dr. says I should be in a coma, lol and he's writing a paper on me. I don't know if I should feel honored by this or not, but he can't believe I carry on a conversation and joke about it. He makes me drink that lactelose 3 times a day and it still stays the same. another Doc told me his friend had a leval of 65 and drove to the store in louisiana and ended up out of gas in mississippi and don't remember driving. So if your Dr. hasn't added it to your bllod work have him do at least one just to be sure. I should also mention the Med help web says its not a perfect indicator, I guess not lol. thx all
sorry accidently hit button twice