Hepatitis C Community

Clinical study

This is a clinical study I am thinking of applying for.  Does anyone think it is worth a shot at?

This study is currently recruiting patients.

Sponsored by

Hoffmann-La Roche
Purpose

The objective of this study is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Pegasys in combination with Copegus given for 16 weeks versus 24 weeks in previously untreated patients with Chronic Hepatitis C virus Genotype 2 or 3.

Condition  Treatment or Intervention Phase
Chronic Hepatitis C
  Drug: Pegylated Interferon alfa-2a in combination with Ribavirin
Phase IV

MedlinePlus related topics:  Hepatitis;   Hepatitis C

Study Type: Interventional
Study Design: Treatment

Eligibility

Ages Eligible for Study:  18 Years and above,  Genders Eligible for Study:  Both

Criteria

Inclusion Criteria:

Age greater than or equal to 18 years
Infected with Hepatitis C virus Genotype 2 or 3
Exclusion Criteria:

Pregnant, breast-feeding or male partners of those who are pregnant
Hepatitis C virus Genotype 1, 4, 5 or 6
Previously treated with interferon, pegylated interferon, ribavirin or viramidine at any previous time or any other systemic antiviral therapy or investigational drug less than or equal to 3 months prior to first dose of study drug. Exception: Patients with a limited (less than or equal to 7 day) course of acyclovir or valacyclovir for herpes more than 1 month prior to first dose of study drug are not excluded.

The risk is you have to retreat for 24 weeks, but the pay-off would be gloriously wonderful if it works - I did 48 weeks as a type 2 and I can assure you there is a whole world of problems that begin after 6 months of treatment. Shorter is worth the risk.

God bless!  -Michael
Having just completed 24 weeks a couple of mos. ago and having the last half be really rough, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I was clear at 12 weeks. Good luck!!!! Joni
Hey. I believe the Shp-saiko-to study was/is being done by Sloane-Kettering Hosp in NY..(or NY Univ Hosp.)but I think S-K.
I spkoe with soemone there early this year.
Also.. does anyone know anything about Dr Wei de Ren @ NY Univ Hosp and his treatments? here's the link, if anyone wants to look into it:
http://www.dr-ren.com/index.htm
Have a great weekend everyone..
You all have been so wonderful!  I wish the best to you all and know that I have found the perfect forum for the support I am going to need.  Again thank you & God bless
Thanks for the heads up!! It will definitely be on my top requests for doc next mo.   Joni
Cuteus, thanks for the info from Dr. Cecil.  Next time I see doc (2 weeks) I'll ask him about dose increase.  Guess I should check out his website and look for more info on this.  Thanks again.

dA