Hepatitis C Community

IMPORTANT! Hep C petition again

Here is the link for the Hep C petition again. I've noticed that a lot of new people have joined recently that may not have signed yet. Please take the time to do it if you haven't already...........

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/703119152 please paste in your browser or re-type....

**ALSO, for those of us with Hep B, too......Roche just applied to the Feds to be able to use Pegasys for both hep C AND Hep B!!! Yah! No more Interferon only for those of us w/ B!

They just applied at the end of July. I'm assuming they've already done their tests/trials.......anyone know how long it'll take before it's approved? Maybe a compassionate doctor will give it to me for both my Heps now............???
I have not and will not sign the petition because I don't believe it is Bill Gates personal responsibility to cure HCV.  Send something like it to the president and I'll reconsider.  Just my 2 cents.
You're wrong. It is his responsibility. It is all of our moral responsibility to help those who are less fortunate. If people who are better off don't help those who are, I don't even want to exist in this world. Besides, you don't get what you don't ask for. And, he helps out other causes, maybe he just doesn't know about our plight. And, if you really mean what you said, anyone can go to thepetitionsite to create a petition for free. Why don't you create one for the president? That would be fabulous!
Galen:

Though I posted that link here originally a while back, I tend to agree with you on one hand.  If the petition could be directed to lawmakers, researchers, in position to allocate funds to research then that could perhaps be more effective.  But seems as though somebody set up the petition out out of frustration.   It might just be a huge waste of time and a naive attempt at trying to get some attention to this disease.   Just one person trying to make a difference.   Not everyone is expected to sign it, or is being pressured, since we all have our own ideas of what is effective or not, or might question the true nature of a web based petition (which was addressed in a previous post by beffuddled, if I remember correctly).   If the petition really gets to him, then who knows what might happen.  Or not.

On other hand, Bill Gates has donated billions to charities and AIDS research on an international basis.   His own foundation, for example, donated  millions towards vaccinating children agains hep B. Wether he needs the writeoffs, is stroking his ego, or genuinely cards is up for debate.    
In any case, there are several organizations trying to make a differece.    <a href="tp://www.hepfi.org/good/mission.htm">Hepatitis Foundation International</a> is a solid organization involved in Hep C research (I like the fact that they are an international organazation, sicne Hep C has no boundaries.)  Guess if we want to help on an individual basis, we could donate to this organization, or on of may others involved in HEP C advocacy.   There are several of them.  We all know the U.S. government in any case, is not putting much attention to Hep C research.   Can't say for sure what other countries are doing.

Other than that, Galen, glad you survived the hurricane, and got away unscathed.    What a mess!
Whoops....that link is: <a href="http://www.hepfi.org/good/mission.htm">Hepatitis Foundation International</a>

Hava a great day!
Tom, it is great to see you here.  Yes, we got lucky here as we have for a long, long time.  It can't last forever, but I sure do appreciate each time we escape.  This one got so close I realized that even though I thought I was prepared for hurricane season (for those who don't know, hurricane season is from June 1 - Nov 30) there are things I want do do differently.  For instance, I bought a generator today.  
I remember when you posted the Bill Gates petition some time back.  I didn't make a comment then but felt I wanted to do so this time.  Yes, it is everyone's responsibility to help those less fortunate, but as you pointed out, Gates has done much for others.  If I am not mistaken, he is the largest single philanthropist in the country.  We need to get heard in DC, however, not Redmond.  
I have written to several government officials, including Surgeon General Richard Carmona, and Doctor Julie Gerberding, director of the CDC.  Until we get this on the national and international radar we will continue to get squat.  Unfortunately, we can probably never get the attention that AIDS gets, primarily because HCV is not as deadly when untreated (please don't anyone feel like they have to send me statistics. I am aware of them.  Fact is, 80% of those with HCV will not ever become ill enough to die from it) and by the time any symptoms appear, the infected person has had the disease for 20 to 30 years.  It is also nowhere nearly as infectious.  The vast majority of current cases are old ones.  The blood supply is much safer, the military no longer uses the old type of injectables, etc.  We aren't a danger to the population at large, ergo no need to pay attention to us.
Personally, I am not a committed activist to our cause.  Most of us aren't, I think.  I am somewhat ashamed of that but that does not change my nature.  However, I will and do donate to the cause and will show up if someone will organize a march on Washington.  I promise.
I have pondered this petition question since being diagnosed. Unfortunately it is my nature to rise up make a stink about something I believe is wrong. I was in prison during 9/11. Afterwards, I went to the authorities because I wanted start a blood drive for the victims. I was told under no uncertain terms to drop it. If I had pushed it bad things would happen. The resistance to my request was too strong, too vehement. I knew then there was a more sinister reason. I was sure of it. I began to research why prisoners were not allowed to donate blood. It was purposely a dead end. Now I know 30% or more of the prison population is hepc positive. If this fact was widely known inside, and it is not, the powers to be within the prison community would cause problems. They are many who are very organized, and formidable. I tell this story because I do not trust the Government, not even a tiny, winy bit. The extent of the HEPC crisis is being covered up and suppress. I do not think anyone would disagree with that. So when someone suggests to write a Gov
I'm not great with quotes but it's something to the effect -- even if the source is dirty money, the out come is for something good
I actually just read today that Hep B is 5 times more infectious than HIV...........yikes! I know that most people here have Hep C, but this is a Hep forum, and some of us also have B.
I missread it Hep Competition. So i signed 5000 times. Thought i was gonna win Mr Gates liver. I do get confused these days.
SH
Your posting about Gates's liver near cracked me up! Thanks for a point of light in an otherwise very dark day. Couch

Gracias Amiga,

I read the about the report. Muy interasante. That certainly explains it. Thank you. Hey! What about them boots. Thought I forgot huh? Nunca, hamas! Digame pronto por favor.

Luis
HEY! How are you holding up nowadays? How is your husband? still in ICU? I hope your sides are on vacation or pernanent leave.
be well