Hepatitis C Community

Natural compound blocks hepatitis C infection

Finding may lead to a new treatment

"Researchers have identified two cellular proteins that are important factors in hepatitis C virus infection, a finding that may result in the approval of new and less toxic treatments for the disease, which can lead to liver cancer and cirrhosis.

An estimated 270 to 300 million people worldwide are infected with hepatitis C and the conventional treatments – interferon and ribavirin – can have significant side effects. A new drug targeting cellular proteins rather than viral proteins would be a valuable addition to the treatment arsenal, said Samuel French, an assistant professor of pathology and senior author of the study."

French and his team set out to identify the cellular factors involved in hepatitis C replication and, using mass spectrometry, found that heat shock proteins (HSPs) 40 and 70 were important for viral infection. HSP 70 was previously known to be involved, but HSP 40 was linked for the first time to hepatitis C infection, French said. They further showed that the natural compound Quercetin, which inhibits the synthesis of these proteins, significantly inhibits viral infection in tissue culture.

"This is an important finding because we can block these proteins with the idea of reducing the level of the virus in people and, ideally, completely eliminate it," said French, who also is a researcher at UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center.

The study appeared in the most recent issue of the journal Hepatology.

Since Quercetin has been shown to inhibit hepatitis C infection, French said, a Phase I clinical trial will be launched at UCLA to determine if the compound is safe and effective.

Quercetin is a plant-derived bioflavonoid, and is used by some people as a nutritional supplement. Laboratory studies show it may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and it is being investigated for a wide range of potential health benefits. Currently, there are early-stage clinical trials testing quercetin for safety and efficacy against sarcoidosis, asthma and glucose absorption in obesity and diabetes.

"Because Quercetin targets cellular proteins rather than viral proteins, there is less likelihood of developing viral resistance," French said. "Cellular proteins cannot change like viral proteins can.

Many patients in the United States have a type of hepatitis C virus that does not respond to the standard treatments. In these cases, if the virus can't be blocked, end-stage liver disease and, ultimately, death may occur. Once HSP 40 and 70 were identified, French and his team used Quercetin in an attempt to block the proteins and found that the compound "reduced infectious particle production at non-toxic concentrations," according to the study.

"Quercetin may allow for the dissection of the viral life cycle and has potential therapeutic use to reduce virus production with low associated toxicity," the study states.

The UCLA clinical trial will most likely target those with type 1 hepatitis C, which is the non-responsive type prevalent in this country. Only about 50 percent of those with type 1 hepatitis C respond to treatment, French said.

Volunteers with type 1 hepatitis C who opt not to undergo conventional therapies would be recruited for the study. In other studies in other diseases, Quercetin has resulted in no significant side effects, French said.

"A non-toxic treatment for chronic hepatitis C would be great because our current therapies have significant side effects and only a certain percentage of the patient population responds," French said.

###

The three-year study was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Cure Digestive Diseases Research Center and the Stein Oppenheimer Endowment Award.

UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center has more than 240 researchers and clinicians engaged in disease research, prevention, detection, control, treatment and education. One of the nation's largest comprehensive cancer centers, the Jonsson center is dedicated to promoting research and translating basic science into leading-edge clinical studies. In July 2009, the Jonsson Cancer Center was named among the top 12 cancer centers nationwide by U.S. News & World Report, a ranking it has held for 10 consecutive years. For more information on the Jonsson Cancer Center, visit our website at http://www.cancer.ucla.edu."

See:  http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-01/uoc--ncb010410.php

Mike

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for posting this.
Kathy
Awesome article. That is some very important research.

It's great to know that when you consume some raw Green Cabbage, or Broccoli... you know that you are reducing Hep-C virus production inside of you, because of one of the active compounds, Quercetin.

Quercetin is also found in these plants among others:

Apples
Cranberry
Tomato
Onion
Parsley

I made fresh juice drinks using these plants along with around 20 others to try to help my parents in dealing with Hep-C. They obviously had some kind of beneficial effect in helping my parents get better.(Caused by Quercetin and other anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc., in those plants). Some research into those 7 plants will show you that they also help the Liver and other organs such as the Kidneys & Heart, etc., to function more effectively in a variety of ways.

According to that article... having a Quercetin-rich Fresh Vegetable/Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C viral production for an extended period of time.

Here's an example of a Quercetin-rich, healing, fresh juice drink that I gave to my parents:

1/4 Green Cabbage
3 Broccoli Florets
1 Apple
1 Small Handful of Cranberries
1/2-1 Tomato
1 Small slice of Onion
1 Handful of Parsley
1-2 Stalks of Celery(to counteract the gas caused by Cabbage)

I look forward to the results of the clinical trial. It would be unbelievably awesome if they could use fresh plants such as these listed above for a source of Quercetin for the trial, instead of a processed supplement form, or "lesser" version of the substance.
Hey Michael, good going!!!!

That would be great for those that have not treated yet

Denise
Good stuff !
Thanks for posting this.
"According to that article... having a Quercetin-rich Fresh Vegetable/Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C viral production for an extended period of time."

I clicked Mike's link and did a find for both "juice" and "fresh." You guessed it.    
LOL!
are you all being sarcastic? Usually the natural stuff here, is well, I guess youve heard it all,  so what do you really think?  same ole blueberry cure?  
I wasn't being sarcastic.

_Matt_ I think you are a wonderful son to care for your parents in such a proactive way. You are my hero.

Kathy
I think the article posted by Mike represents compelling and encouraging research.

I think claiming the article says a "Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C" is stretching the truth beyond the breaking point.  
"I think claiming the article says "According to that article, having a Quercetin-rich Fresh Vegetable/Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C viral production for an extended period of time." is stretching the truth beyond the breaking point."

In light of that article and other research, and the fact that I made my parents well with Fresh Vegetable and Fruit juice.... yeah, that statement is true. It is very likely... Though I'd never claim that's what the article is saying exactly... since I'd be a liar if I did.

I've simply combined common sense  and logic with the new "ecouraging and compelling research". Common sense tells me that you can get "Quercetin" from plants, since that's where it comes from in the first place. That new research speaks for itself, they just didn't mention exactly what healthy plants you can get the plant derived bioflavonoid "Quercetin" from. I happen to know and it's easy to find out for yourself.

I am interested in this study because it supports the method I used to help make my parents well, which I've been writing about for around 7 years on this site, since I was around 19-years old. I have a lot of hope for this new research and it is awesome to say the least. The new article fits well with all of my other research. I hope it leads to much less harmful treatments that are more effective. Those researchers are doing great work, and I look forward to the positive results from the clinical trial based upon their research. I don't expect them to find a cure necessarily(even though the Researchers themselves wonder about the possibilities...), yet I am expecting them to find similar results with the trial as they have in the lab.
"I wasn't being sarcastic.

Kathy"

Thank you for being so kind. :)  The researchers who find out this sort of information about the healing properties of plants are the people I had to look towards for help, to get educated about how to improve the health of my parents. They are doing heroic work for suffering people, without them I wouldn't have had a clue. My reward for helping my parents get well is to share my story with others.
.... yeah, that statement is true. It is very likely... Though I'd never claim that's what the article is saying exactly... since I'd be a liar if I did.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Referring to statement: "Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C"

Excuse me, but isn't that exactly what you said, or am I seeing double here?
"Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C"

I think I'll continue drinking tea and eat more apples (both have more Quercetin that cabbage). That is just good sense and good eating, and if that turns out to be a cure, great.

Substituting this for medicine would be foolhardy. I would never substitute this, good as it may be, for a cure until the research proves it.

Brent
"Referring to statement: "Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C"

I don't see how you can take my words out of context, then act like nobody will notice. Heheheh. The list of 7 Quercetin-rich plants I wrote down are all Vegetables except the Cranberries. Some people might consider a Tomato or an Apple to be a fruit as well... A good fruit to add would be some Pineapple because of the "Bromelain" which helps to absorb "Quercetin" supposedly.
I don't think I took any words out of context. You said "Fruit juice drink daily is likely very effective in significantly reducing Hep-C"  as if the study confirmed this, no?
This is a great article and these are great foods.  Regardless, I love apples, tomatos, cranberries, and pineapples.  It's a good excuse to eat these items and feel positive also.  Thanks for posting Mike and Matt.
P.S. I think everyone would consider an apple to be a fruit.
I for one would rather do the quercetin. Anything .   I just get confused.  Im on the brink of treating with poison, and then I hear these supplement things and then I hear it doesnt matter what your viral load is  but many seemed preoccupied with the numbers, I feel like a ping pong ball.  Im taking all kinds of supplements right now but Im not sure why if it wont kill it and the viral load doesnt matter. or does it?  I hate western medicine I would love to munch on cabbage or take the supplements but what brand, how much each day,  Since SOC costs about 4000 a month I could spring for a few hundred or more in natural stuff.  See, I think I go stick my head in the dirt /  I'll be your giune pig.  Since I probably wont treat with poison until this summer. tell me exactly what to take and how much.  I'll have my blood drawn and then see what happens in April.  and no Im not being sarcastic.
Very interesting and exciting as well.

"Once HSP 40 and 70 were identified, French and his team used Quercetin in an attempt to block the proteins and found that the compound "reduced infectious particle production at non-toxic concentrations," according to the study."

The key phrase in this to me is "reduced infectious particle production at non-toxic CONCENTRATIONS". - emphasis mine, of course.  I take that to mean that the amount of Quercetin being administered is definitely higher than the amount one would get out of putting a bunch of vegetables/fruits in a juicer and tossing it back.  Not that that isn't good also - I'm just thinking they're extracting quercetin and administering it in doses that are many times the daily amount one could possibly get out of veggies and fruits and they've determined how much they can give without it becoming a toxic dose.

So while fruit and veggies are good for you, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that daily consumption would deliver the same bang for the buck so to speak as the amount being administered on this trial.  Otherwise, they could save themselves the trouble and instead of extracting it, they would simply feed trial participants quercetin-loaded produce.  Since they're not, I'm thinking the quercetin being administered is in higher concentrations short of being toxic. No proof on my part, simply my take on it.

Trish
Matt wrote:

You're probably right. You seem to know more than I do about the way trials work. We'll see in the trial results if they are using "mega doses" of quercetin exceeding the levels found in fresh produce.

At the same time I highly doubt that consuming "quercetin" from fresh produce has extremely limited or absolutely no results inhibiting HSP 40 & 70 in the body. I don't believe there is any mechanism in the body that would prevent it from working as described in the research.

Getting "Quercetin" "as mother nature intended" from the source in its natural state seems like a very helpful addition to a diet for Hep-C in the meantime while we wait for the results of the trial.(Assuming it will take awhile for the results to come out). No doubt people here have a bunch of "quercetin-rich produce" in their fridge and didn't know it, and there's no doubt in my mind that it has some effect inhibiting those two proteins involved in virus production as the article describes. I doubt that doses higher than what is found in nature are required to inhibit those proteins described in the article. All that action is going on at a microscopic level. Juicing would cause the compound to spread althroughout the body at non-toxic levels and enter directly into the bloodstream without having to be digested, there is no stopping it from doing its job at that point.... Even if quercetin-rich produce has a limited effect to actually reduce the amount of virus in people..., that little bit of reduction in the amount of virus in the body might be just what some people need in their fight. For now we know "quercetin" is easily acquired from certain types of fresh, clean produce.

Trish77 wrote:

"Otherwise, they could save themselves the trouble and instead of extracting it, they would simply feed trial participants quercetin-loaded produce."

Matt wrote:

I wish that they could also do a trial using "quercetin-loaded produce", yet either way I'm expecting some positive results. :)

If the Researchers develop a therapy to make "Quercetin" work more effectively than consuming the actual plants it was derived from, that would be amazing. So far the only thing I know of that supposedly makes "Quercetin" more effective is "Bromelain", found in Pineapples. Like quercetin and other vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, it is probably best to get bromelain from the plant source in fairly small quantities. Pineapple will dry out your skin if you have around half of a whole Pineapple. Would be best to just have a 1-inch slice/ring or so at a time, which would provide all the bromelain you'd need to help absorb quercetin from other fresh produce....

When making juices for my parents I would also include the rind/skin of Pineapple and used it sparingly, around 1 Pineapple every 2-3 weeks or so. I used Pineapple and all of the "quercetin-rich produce" for their other supposed benefits for the Liver, since I was unaware of this new research.
Quercetin can be purchased as an extract in health food store but the only caveat is that it is poorly absorbed by the body.  A way around the absorbtiobn issue is to bring coconut milk(canned) to a boil and break open quercetin capsules and mix in.  The fat in the coconut milk binds with the Quercetin making it more bio-available to the body.  Powerful, powerful anti-inflammatory.
Who wouldn't rather munch on cabbage than take interferon? It sounds like quercitin is a good thing for many reasons, and the fruits and veggies that contain it have long been espoused to be healthy foods.

Eating healthy is one thing, ridding your body of a deadly virus is another. There is absolutely no proof that quercitin in any dose will do this. There is definite proof that SOC with interferon and ribavirin can. This last statement is irrefutable.

It is not a question of which is more natural or "healthy". There is nothing healthy about taking a drug like interferon. There is nothing helathy about taking chemotherapy for cancer either. Sometimes medicine is harsh. Sometimes harch medicin is necessary.

Eat all the cabbage and drink all the juice you want, but please don't believe that it is a cure or a substitute for anti-viral therapy.
"Who wouldn't rather munch on cabbage than take interferon?"

Not to argue or anything... but just so you know, when you munch on cabbage, you're getting some interferon.... different types as well. Not just Cabbage, all veggies and fruit with Vitamin-C in them.

http://www.drsgoodman.com/vitamin-c-chapter4.php

4. Vitamin C Modulates Interferon Synthesis

Interferons (there are as many as 20 different types) are proteins with antiviral activity, produced in cells which have been infected with virus, and also possibly in malignant cells. Interferon is being experimentally tested in treatment of different forms of cancer; however treatment with externally synthesized interferon rather than with the body's own naturally produced interferon, may have toxic side effects. Recent evidence confirms that increased Vitamin C intake results in increased interferon levels(208). Thus taking Vitamin C is a "natural" antiviral treatment (62).
Well, thats the point.  I do know that there is not cure for HCV except SOC.  If there was, the people taking the natural things would be putting the receipe up for all to see it.  There are also people like me who dont know who to trust and are hoping that something naturally better is here but we just dont know what it is yet.  When hope full inexperienced, desperate, poor people hear things like I got my parents well with this or that, it leads the uneducated hopeful desperate people into believeing it because they want to believe it.   I mean, what does well mean anyway?  treating HCV is surely something you dont want to be dupped on.  We just want the truth, easily understood.  If  so many sheeple wernt dupped so often, people like Mr. Wright wouldnt be living in Malibu.  We would.  
All the research that I used to help my parents can be found by clicking on my name and reading the post in the "Journal" section. There's a bunch of articles there I collected and used to educate myself about the healing properties of a large variety of Vegetables, Fruit, Herbs. The research on all the different Vegetables and Fruit that are supposedly helpful for Liver is what provided the answers for me, it may not provide the answers for you. For me it was hope, since I had no clue there were so many Vegetables and Fruit helpful for the liver. I was completely shocked to find so much information that was completely new to me, and a little bit angry that nobody ever told me!

The way I looked at all the research is like this. If there's 30 or so different Vegetables and Fruit I can get at the grocery store that has a myriad of different healing properties for the Liver.... why not get some and give it to my parents as juice since they won't eat platefuls everyday, maybe it'll help, maybe even heal them? That's all I did. If I'm crazy for thinking that... then all the research is crazy too, since that's what I used to make my decisions on what to give my parents everyday... and the research is what led me to believe I could possibly heal them with Vegetables and Fruit.

I didn't know for sure without a doubt that my parents would get well from juicing veggies. I had all the research, had also already healed my Dad of bleeding Ulcers with just Green Cabbage juice, yet I still didn't totally believe he'd be healed of Hep-C with juicing. My parents didn't believe they'd get well from it, my sisters also didn't believe it could happen. Nobody did. My sisters thought I was wasting my time and thought I was nuts when I'd tell them I was going find a way to heal Mom and Dad. Mom also thought I was wasting time, Dad was the only one who would listen a bit when I'd explain things to him I had discovered from the research...(and was impressed by the amazing ulcer healing power of Green Cabbage juice...), and had no problem drinking the juice as long as I prepared it for him, yet he still didn't believe I'd heal him of Hep-C. Only until he came back from the Liver clinic one day with paper in hand and news he didn't have the virus anymore. Do you think I expect anyone to believe me if nobody would in my own house? I also didn't fully believe it until I seen the results.

If you should believe anything I post here, believe the research I studied about all those Vegetables and Fruit(the things that have been proven to be true) and decide for yourself if it is useful to you or not.