Hepatitis C Community

Post Treatment Weight Gain

If anyone told me during treatment that I'd have a problem losing weight a year later, I'd think they were crazy.

During treatment I lost over 30 lbs, a lot of it lean muscle mass, and most of it within the first three months of treating. Within three months of ending treatment, all the weight came back but not surprisngly a greater proportion came back as fat as opposed to muscle.

The remedy -- weight work to build muscle mass, diet sensibly with enough protein and calories to retain muscle mass and aerobic exercise to lose the fat. In the past, this has always worked and quite easily. But for some reason the body doesn't want to cooperate the same way after treatment. No doubt my metabolism has changed and not for the better.

CONT...
And it's not just vanity, more midriff fat means greater chance of heart attack and stroke, especially in my family. That, combined a worsening metabolic syndrome from treatment is not great news.

Wondering if anyone else not only noticed post treatment weigh gain, but more difficulty losing the weight than before they treated. And if so, what worked for them if anything.

My new plan is more of the above, but instead of 30-60minutes a day of interval aerobic work, I plan to do 60-120 minutes a day of aerobics with the majority of it in the lower heart rate fat burning zone. That and continue on with the weights and diet, but not cut calories so much as to start losing muscle mass. I figure something's got to give but so far it's giving real slow.

Then, of course, there's Sly Stallone's solution. LOL. Ever wonder how a guy in his 50's and 60's looks so cut up :) Ask the custom folks in Australia :)

-- Jim
i have the beginnings of  the metabolic syndrom (boderline high BP, glucose around 102-108,cholesterol all out of whack, and belly fat) and as you know i have not started tx yet.  i can not seem to get rid of the belly fat. i'm not really that overweight, about 20lbs. and i would say most of that is in my stomach.  my bmi is 25.2  by exercising & diet i have helped my BP & glucose but can not get rid of the belly !!! well maybe after i get rid of the HCV i will have to get liposuction, lol hope not i would rather lose it the regular way. keep me up to date with your progress of longer exercising, if it works i may have to up my time. i only do the tread mill and some light weights 30-60 mins per day.
Yup, sounds like me.....  Same scenero....Even South Beach isn't budging this stuborn weight much beyond phase 1....
(I think I miss my Riba & Interferon Diet)... NOT...LoL
but............................
mmm... but what if your too lazy to work out like that... Got an easier Remidy for folks like me??? I Hope, I Hope, I Hope,.....HeH, HeH

;)
I thought that problem was reserved for the women over 50.  Jeez...we can almost kill ourselves before we loose anything.  I had a friend finially loose some weight by eathing 15 almonds for breakfast,  A cut up apple for a snack, 1 cup steamed broccoli for Lunch and  1 thin slice of deli turkey as well.  For dinner whe would eat a small salad.
I believe in watching what I eat but my that is to extreme for me.  Good luck on finding something that works.   I know I will have it cut out for me when I am off treatment next week.  I then am going to start the weights and aerobic exercises.  I may even do some Pilates...not sure but I will try.  I have to watch my exercising.  Sometimes I go to extremes and about at 8 or 9 months I reach burn out.
Good luck  
Same problem with me.  I only lost 10 on tx but gave gained about 20 post tx.  I am trying, but maybe not hard enough. I do so like to sabbotage myself!  Your regiment sounds pretty serious.  I have been doing light areobic and machine work outs (30min 4 days a week) and walk maybe only 1-2 days a week.  I too lost losts of muscle mass on tx.

As I recall your plan was to be swimming over a mile a day within a month or tow of completion.  What happened with that?  I haven't been back to the pool post tx yet.
kathy
I had a person I know that has exercised and trained for years.  One of his daughters is being watched for a future soccer player in the Olympics.  Anyway he told me to  not exercise everyday.  You don't need to from what he said. .  I found if I  mix my exercise up...Ex  Mon   Elipitical 25 min,  upper body weights  for complete routine and back to Eliptical for 15 minutes.  Then Wed do the same but on the weights do the lower body.  I work on my abs they are really bad but hey I try.  Anyway if you give your body a break it keeps it not guessing what you are doing.  I guess in a sense you trick it. ANyway that seemed to work for me but it took about 2 or 3 months to start seeing the drop in sizes.  Good luck...I know it is hard the older one gets.