Hepatitis C Community

Really Low RBC's update

Hello, Friends,
After 1 week without ribavirin, I'm back up to Hgb 8.5 as of yesterday.  My iron levels were checked, and indeed I have depleted my iron reserves; I am to start 325 mg iron supplement am and pm.  Lesson here:  Procrit may eventually need iron supplementation to work, so your iron levelsshould be checked if the Procrit stops or isn't working.
My next check is on Mon.8/18.  Hope to resume riba next Monday... maybe gradually increasing dose back up to "normal".
My white counts are in good shape now, so I am dropping down 25% from my current 300 mcg 2x/wk Neupogen.
Thanks for all your responses, suggestions, and expressions of concern.
After a week without Ribavirin my mind seems sharper, but other sides have not changed.  
As always, forward we go.  Thanks for all the songs this week!
Best to all,
Maj Neni
great news! hopefully the iron deficiency will a fairly easy and quick to remedy. Any insight into what led to this? was any interaction with the GERD medicine confirmed?
I'm sorry you aren't feeling any better, but glad to hear your count is up. I'm praying you can get back on full dose.
Eat LOTSA spinach. Not only will it help with that Iron problem, but you'll also be able to kick that Badgers ass.
Hahahahahahahaha
I really do think that getting your iron from iron rich foods is MUCH better for you. Just don't start eating nails to get a quick start..........
Glad to hear your numbers are leveling out.  This whole iron issue confuses me.  I guess there is a difference between iron storage and iron in your blood?  My pre-tx bloodwork showed my iron levels were low (49)and the doctor told me that was a better situation for tx success.  The GI PA in the office told me I should take a multi vitamin WITH iron because I need the iron (after the doctor told me to take a multi WITHOUT iron).  OK, so now I'm confused.  I see the doctor this Thursday for results of my 12 week PCR, so I will discuss this with him then.
Hang in There
ambush :)
I'm glad you have this thing headed in the right direction. Sounds like the little riba-vacation is to your liking. I was beginning to imagine several of us following you around ready to catch you should you pass out and fall (just projecting what you might feel like based on my own occasional lightheadedness).
It's good to know what the problem is. I know men are different but I can't imagine a hemoglobin that low. Mine has been in the 10s and I am so beat. At one point last tx my surgeon had me on iron and folic acid but after an iron test it was determined that this wasn't the solution. I sure hope you get some benefit from the supplementation. I know how much better we feel when we stop the ribavirin. That drug is tough. Good luck Maj. Mike