Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Research supported antifibrotics - do they exist?

The problems of treatment failure for SOC/IFN nonresponders and the possibility of reducing future supercombo-SVRchances by introducing archived resistance mutations when using "Pseudomonotherapy" - (that is here defined as using  a single  antiviral agent that is not protected against resistance development by its combo with an IFN/riba component (IFN by definition in this scenario is not sufficiently effective in reducing viral replication so that all the burden to tame the adaptive quasispecies evolution falls on the antiviral)) together with the 61% and 65% SVR rates for the latest triple modality in Geno 1s, have raised concern and the awareness for the need for alternate/additional treatment modalities in many HCV patients and their health care providers. Waiting for future antiviral developments is one route frequently recommended, but for the patients  in current need, our repertoire of additional meaningful approaches needs to be carefully reevaluated. Using antifibrotics to halt fibrosis progression is one concept not proven in large trials but it might well be effective in many, because the mechanisms for fibrosis generation are not intrinsically linked to HCV persistence, but rather to secondary response mechanisms evoked in the chronically inflamed liver, with the stellate cell activation holding center stage in this scenario. The following is one of several possible add on modalities.
134 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If my child had cirrhosis I would advise him to take 4 of these capsules a day (as part of quite a few other things that I would advise to take/do ( better do/take!) my child in that setting). I would of course advise him to understand that this is just a nutritional supplement possibly beneficial to his general health and that no claim can or should be made that it has any capacity to cure or mitigate his cirrhotic liver disease at this point in time, until, by randomized, properly powered clinical trials whose results have been analyzed and scrutinized by an expert advisory panel a decision is made by the proper authority that such disease specific claims can be attached to such a substance.I would explain to him, that while he is in need of immediate treatment, the strict rules to attach such claims must be followed in  a world that is filled with quackery claims by people trying to financially profit from the need of the despaired.
father knows best...LOL beware of the quacks and meatballs in life. and don't forget a penny saved is a penny earned. geesh i think i just saved alot on my car insurance!
hugs!

Goofy. request is http://www.woodmed.com/Phos%20Choline.htm

BTW.....i am available for adoption  hahaha
92903 tn?1309904711
I'd need to like quadruple my intake to get into HR's family. Oh, well - I bet his double-wide ain't nohing like my Moma's. Once we get the roof fixed and the skunks outta the wall, it's gonna be sweeeeeeeet....
Thanks for your helpful posts. I was wondering if you would be able to list what the other things that you would advise your child to do/take.  Again, thank you for the interesting information.  
And all this time I thought it was "a penny saved is worth two in the bush."
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.