Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Vitamin B12 Shots

Anyone taking vitamin B12 shots on tx and did they have any positive/negative effects? Any sides including stomach discomfort/reflux?

As my Hgb is a bit low, thought I'd try a shot every other week to see if I can get an energy boost and also to facilitate my weekly Procrit injections. Currently my only vitamin intake is Centrum Silver.

My Vitamin B12 serum is 293, within normal but on the low side.
Normal (200-1100).

I'm thinking shots rather than oral supplements because all the PPI's (Nexium) and antacids I'm taking may be inhibiting oral absorption. Also, it's a quicker fix.

-- Jim

48 Responses
I have no idea what the B-12 would do to you on tx but I can tell you what it did to my husband...

He had bi lateral knee replacement surgery in both knees last January...His hemoglobin went from 140 to 60 overnight due to the great amout of blood loss during surgery...They gave him a "booster" B-12 and he had an allergic reation to it...Most people can do B-12 fine, but in his case he didn't so be careful...
Sorry about what happened to your husband. Could you be more specific to what kind of allergic reaction he had. My NP tells me there are no bad sides but based on your husband's experience, it doesn't hold through for anyone. On the other hand, my mother used to take monthly b12 shots and she has a bad reaction to almost drug but not the b12 shots.
he immediately got a fever, his BP went sky high and he tried to itch his knees...And the weird thing about it too, his hemoglobin didn't start to go up...It took almost a week before they noticed a difference and it was very slight...They gave him one shot of iron (probably the Canadian equivelant to Procrit) and his hemoglobin didn't reach pre surgery level for 2 months!..Now,this was a rare case, the staff was amazed that he had such a reaction...I only told you becasue I know you are having a real hard time now and you don't need anymore set backs...
92903 tn?1309908311
I was tested for B12 last week. I don't have the results yet because the lab has apparent trouble with big day-glow stickers that say FAX PATIENT. I can see how that might be tricky for them, so I always call and gently explain that I'd like a copy, and yes my doctor did approve, that's why your copy has a big day glow sticker that says FAX PATIENT. Anyway, I spoke briefly with my nurse, but she didn't mention it, so I guess I'm reasonably normal, other indicators not withstanding ;-) The next time I talk to my nurse I'll pick her brain a little about when they react to B12 and post anything that might seem interesting.

I switched from Centrum Silver to an iron free mens multi from the Vitamin Shoppe. I think it may be a better pill based on the folowing analysis:

It's bigger
It costs more
It makes my pee yellow all day, no matter how much water I drink
The problem with your daglo sticker is the word "patient". I believe the customer service departments at most labs take a course in ignoring that word. Try same sticker next time without that word and see what happens. :)

Based on your recommendation (bigger, more expensive, pee's more yellow) I don't know what I was thinking when I bought Centrum Silver. Not to mention that the Vitamin Shoppe has such a catchy name and the store's are so well lit. Actually, I usually use the Solgar brand recommended by my brother. But in this case I just picked it off a list of vitamins recommended by a heptologist I respect. Plus the fact, that the "Silver" reminds me of how ancient I've become, especially lately. :)

-- Jim
9648 tn?1290094807
That's the B vitamins. ;)
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.