Hepatitis C Community

geno 1a undetectable at 6 months post Tx!

Thought I'd share the uplifting news I received earlier this week: The HCV virus was undectectable on my 6 month post Tx blood test!

My stats starting Tx in 7/05: male/53, viral load 1.14 million, biopsy stage2/grade2, probably infected since the 70s. Tx regimen was 48 weeks of Pegasys 180 mcg/week and Ribavirin (including 2 different generics) 1200mg/day. I missed two doses of Ribavirin and none of the Pegasys over this time. Sides were mild/moderate compared with what Ive heard and seen, the most bothersome involving skin rash, skin peeling and itching, snarliness and malaise. Here at the six month post Tx point my side effects are gone for the most part. Skin problems, restlessness and insomnia were present for about three/four months after stopping Tx. I do feel like my short-term memory has suffered but really can't pin that on the Tx drugs.

I do have a question. I know my UND results are great news but I also know that it ain't over till its over. What kind of chances do I now have to achieve SVR? My gasto suggested that my next PCR be in a year but I believe most people in my position would get another one in six months. Input on this would be appreciated. Hope everyone has a great holiday season!
- Lee
i believe you are already considered SVR if undetectable at 6 months. i would get another pcr at 12 months and 2 years after that. happy holidays and go enjoy a hep free life :-)
Congrats, a nice Christmas gift indeed.

For all purposes I believe UND on the 6 month PCR is considered SVR.  But like CMan says a 12 and 24 month follow-up is often advisible to fully claim being cured, particularily for insurance purposes it would seem.
Thanks for your responses and hope your holidays go well too. I have heard that UND six months post-Tx means that one has quite a low chance of relapse after that point. I do plan to be retested in another six months and at two years post-Tx. I'm wondering if there are any stats even informal ones, that estimate one's chances of staying virus free a year or even several years after an UND at the six month post-Tx point.        - Lee
Great news!! I think you are 98% chance of SVR. Nice holiday gift!
my short term memory is shot and i CAN blame it on the drugs.at least you have something to show for ut. 50 % of us do not svr. great.
Lee, CONGRATULATIONS!! You are starting the New Year Hep Free!  And, as everyone says, your chances are extremely good that it will remain that way.  All my best, Aiuta