Hepatitis C Community

life span

I just read this article about hep c and life span does anyone have a link to some charts that spell out what the life span may be?? I've read a bunch of info but would like something a little more clear!! Hopefully I'll be clear in six months anyway!
http://health.msn.com/menshealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100153990
scary ! i read the article and it states that the average life span of a male NON drinker is 55 and a drinker 50. i would also like to see other studies about this as i have never heard this before and means i may be dead in 5 yrs since i'm 50 now. i was thinking about waiting for better meds but if this is true then i may opt to tx now! if anyone has any other links with better news or could explain this better please do. thanks
Copy: that the average life span of a male NON drinker is 55 and a drinker 50.
-------------
Gee, that means was dead five years ago and I've been mistakenly blaming all the side effects on treatment.
Absurd.  Who comes up with this stuff?  Oh after reading the fine print it was AAA.  Explains it.

Ron
...............

LOL, funny comeback jim. you had me rolling on the floor :-)
Got you all beat. I am 65 and not starting tx untill next week.
yes it sounds like BS but does anyone have any links to good info on life span?
I read a post a couple of years ago from another HepC board from a guy who had had it for 50 years and was still kicking.  Very encouraging!  I think the thread was called "Lifers".  There's so much misinformation that you have to be very careful about the sources.  My local doc keeps telling me I'll be okay.  As I've started confiding in close friends that I have this disease, they've all been very supportive AND, most importantly, that they would never know I was sick by looking at me.  I guess that's good, eh?
Too bad they weren't giving life expectancy for females. I want to know when my times up according to their clock. I'm too lazy to read the report, what about past drinkers who have quit?
Bug
the study was for females as well, of course the womans life was longer,  expectency was 61 for the non-drinker, and 55 (i believe) for the drinker.
Thanks, I saw mens health and lost interest. How are you doing?
Bug
The avg age around here strikes me to be about 50ish. So according to this we should be dropping like flies. Not to be insensitive to the members who struggle with ESLD, generally I'd say this is a lively group for a bunch of gouls.
I read that article last night, and at first it scared me (and then I saw it was the AAA.)  I know two men who were diagnosed a few years ago in their 80's (diagnosed being worked up for elective ortho surgery.) Neither had risk factors except for the service and a blood transfusion long long time ago.  One has drunk alcohol all his life more heavily than socially.  He's still drinking and doing fine - dancing every Saturday night at the single's club with a new girlfriend who's also in her 80's. He smokes cigs like a freight train, too.   (The daughter is upset only about the new girlfriend :)  The other one also drank all his life, probably more socially than heavily.  He was a big pharma's med director for Africa.  He died suddenly of a heart attack last year in his office, in his mid 80s.  Isolated cases of people with Hep C in their 80's ?  I don't think so.  

This alcohol thing - I hadn't drunk a drop in over 20 years when I was diagnosed in 2003 and was still grade 3 stage 2 on biopsy. It wasn't alcohol taking my liver downhill.  I think it was Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Flexeril, AntiD's (all prescribed by the doc), and *cig smoking* that contributed to the inflammation and fibrosis.

The focus on HCV progression is "watch out for alcohol".  That's a fair warning, but I think more warnings need to be given to the not so obvious, like OTCs.