Hepatitis Social Community

Colonoscopy required before biospy will be scheduled?

Hi, newly diagonosed with Hep C.  Probably had it for 33 years.  First visit to a GI where he spent less than 15 minutes with me.  Did not have my genotype test back.  Sent me for an adbominal sonogram and is requiring a colonoscopy before he will schedule a liver biospy!  Why in the world would a colonoscopy be a requirement for a liver biopsy.  Is that the "normal" procedure?  I understand the sonogram, that makes sense.  The waiting part of all of this is difficult and he wants me to wait longer for a biospy because of a colonoscopy?  Anyone else have to do that?  Any doctors out there that can tell me if that is a reasonable requirement.  I have no issues with my colon.  This is the first time I've had anything other than normal colds, etc. - ever!  Besides the fact that I'm "that age" when I'm supposed to have one, this makes no sense.
I can't recall hearing about anyone who was required to have a colonoscopy in order to get a biopsy.
But like you said, you are at the age for one so I'd just go ahead and get it.
I hate the waiting too.

Good luck,
Mike
This sounds like an unusual request, especially when you only spend 15 minutes with the GI and was given no explanation.  I think you deserve an  answer on why this has been suggested other than being a good idea to do if you're over 50.  Maybe this procedure is the bread and butter of the GI's practice?  

Hopefully the GI has a lot of experience with treating HCV, currently has several patients under his care and keeps up with the latest information.  The needs of a HCV patient are much greater than others being treated in their office, so hopefully you'll receive the proper attention from their staff.  If you see any more red flag and problems within the office,  finding the best GI or Hepatologist to guide you through this challenging treatment is in your best interest.  I'm not suggesting that you jump ship and find another doctor, but do realize that you get to make that choice if you're not pleased with the care received.  

Best of luck as you begin
I haven't read anywhere that anyone has been required to do a colonoscopy prior to scheduling a biospy.  I did read on the information given to me about the colonoscopy that the clinic where I am going for the procedure, is owned by physicians!  That answers that as far as I'm concerned.  He needs to make a BMW payment!
As far as that GI, I sprinted from his office crying.  He was annoyed by my questions, arrogant, condescending and never once asked how I was doing or feeling (except to ask if I had been having indegestion or heartburn).  He didn't have all my labs from my PCP and the results of whatever test it is that shows my genotype hadn't come in. Still, he does not get to join my health provider team.  Medical "Care" isn't that what they call it?  There was no "care" anywhere.  Moving on.  Have appt 9/7 with another GI.  Still all very new to me and scary.

There are so many horror stories about treatment!  
Sometimes you have to go with your gut and you've done just that.  Try to do as much research as you can prior to selecting your next doctor.  You might have to drive to a large city nearby, but finding someone competent is very important while guiding you through trt.  Take your time and make the best choice you can.   The amount of follow up with the doctor and his staff with the specialty pharmacy is very important and if they drop the ball you end up suffering the consequences.  

Good choice and good luck in your search.
I am going through the exact same thing. Had Cat Scan Friday and Colonoscopy coming this Tuesday...they won't proceed without the testing. My Doctor did spend quite a bit of time with me and has indicated that they want to be sure there are no other chances of cancer or serious illness prior to treatment. Could be the additional money for the practice, but I haven't had one and I am 53....figured I might as well know that everything is OK before starting this journey. Good Luck!

You certainly deserve to know exactly why they are requesting any test.

Vann~
Thanks.  I live in Dallas so it shouldn't be that difficult.  Don't really understand if a GI is okay or if I seek a specialist and if so, what kind.  Heck, I don't even know my genotype yet or know how my liver has been effected.... This is all very unsettling.