Hepatitis Social Community

Jim/Kalio

Did you see my reply to Proactive's post on the Forum? Hate to be left hanging when I was so tottttaaalllly right and all!JK! But I didn't think either of you would go down w/o a fight!
"Am I just paranoid or am I being ignored?"
Thankd goodness for OrphanHawk replying or I would really be over the edge.
Bug
OK, let's fight. What am I fighting about. Burt what are we fighting about. I forgot :)
It's right here baby: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis/messages/45833.html.
Well, I'm just wanted one final rant before I watched AI which hopefully recorded earlier. I can't lookat my own thread because I'm afraid someone has said who got voted off the island this week!
Good night!
Bug
I loved your rant.

You are a wonderful lady.

A book I read recently by Bernie Siegel; "lessons learned about self-healing from a surgeon's experience with exceptional patients" says the same thing you said on the other side.

And as someone involved with health care and interacting with patients, you have a perspective way beyond that of most (including me) who aren't in the field.

Hawke,

Thanks for flying to the rescue!

wyntre

OK. I found the post actually before you humiliated me with the memory thing. LOL.  

Wasn't ignoring you, just thought I'd leave it alone after I made my point which was basically to agree with Kalio's point.  

To elaborate on my own now, which I think is what you're asking -- yes, things aren't always black and white and in fact often grey. But it's stuff like studies and anecdotal experiences that help us make decisions. You know, the idea about studying history so history doesn't repeat itself.

The last thing I'd want to do is to take away someone's hope. In fact I  treated myself when the odds were against me. But I made the decision based on study data and my doctor's advice -- in a nutshell, weighing the risks of treating versus the rewards, factoring in what I thought was a reasonable expectation of getting cured.

Others, might take that same study data and advice and come to another conclusion. Again, no black or white.

If I thought I had one chance in a hundred to cure myself of disease "X", I'd take that one chance and ignore the odds if I thought the rewards outweighed the risks. With Hep C, somethimes they do, sometimes they don't. It ends up being an individual decsion. Not sure if we really disagree all that much but hope this clarifies.

As to AI -- I vote for Jennifer Lopez. She was hot, hot, hot tonight :)

All the best,

-- Jim
You two are angels! You don't have to be in the medical career field to believe in hope, prayers and miracles!
Elaine: Jboyhk posted a treatment web site for hep c. I was going to send it to you but I've copied and pasted this morning so much I think it'll be faster for you to go to the forum. (Faster for me anyhow!!)
Love and hugs
Bug
Just to comment a little more on "hope, miracles, and prayer", I believe in all three and did all three on treatment with daily prayers.

The point made in the other thread did not have to do with statistics versus hope but more on what battles make sense fighting and what battles may not. In the case of certain life-threatening cancers -- and I'll just use it as an example -- there is not choice. The battle must be engaged whatever the odds. But in the case of Hepatitis C, it's not always that cut and dry.

Hepatitis C can be a life-threatening condition, but often it is not. For those with little or no liver damage, choices are available, including waiting on treatment, especially for those with little or no liver damage. In the same vein, the treatment process itself can be reasonably driven by how much is at stake, which for many of us involves how much liver damage we have. Therefore when the odds of clearing the virus start to sharply decline in those with little or no liver damage do to lack of viral response -- it's not giving up hope to consider stopping, it's just making a reasonable decision taking into account that the treatment drugs themselves may be doing more harm than good in a particular case.

Pick your battles wisely is all I'm saying.

-- Jim