Music - do you love it?
Music surely saved my life.  When I was a teenager and suffering all the problems of that age, I found drugs,  and life became very dark.  Many people retire to that place in our minds where hope is lost; some make it back out and some do not.

I found music; I would lie on the floor with my ear next to the speaker and play the slow movement of the Beethoven emperor concerto.  The music was sad, but it touched my heart and I was no longer alone.    That same music eased the pain of TX for me.  It calmed me down and helped me deal with the problems of the real world while I was working.

I love music of almost all genres.  Perhaps not elevator music and pop music that sounds as if it was designed by the people that design ugly cars specked out by a marketing survey.  If it comes from the heart, I love it; be it the cerebral  notes of a Bach cello sweet -- almost mathematical in form; the passion of a choral and, at the opposite end, the pounding beat  of rock and reggae -- music that stirs a different kind of passion.

So  -- what kind of music do you like?
Thanks for the critique of the audio elite.  I have 1970s era Audio Research amp and preamp along with KEF speakers.  Some of the best equipment ever made.  Have you listened to the new state of the art systems?

I stopped by a high end store to get some replacement parts and listened to a top of the line system.  The prices have gone bonkers!  A state of the art system can cost upwards of $200,000.  Completely crazy for anyone to pay that much money.

Eric.
New stuff? It wasn't that long ago (it seems) that I scrapped my eight track!
:-)
but of courze
Yes we have listented to the state of the art systems such as: Krell.Enjoyed very much but didn't think it was worth that much money.We'll be sticking with the McIntosh , 1964 pre amp and Mc 2505 amp., with the voice of the theatre speakers.We listen to music alot.Enjoy very much.
Not only state of the art stuff is going bonkers.People are buying the vintage good stuff up and shipping to China.Check out www.audiokarma.com                     Tammy
I can't do ANYTHING without my headphones inside my head. It's like oxygen to me!! I am addicted.
Went to a gala at a local museum.

Listened to string quartets with the music reverberating in the gallery. Looking at Titian, El Greco and Rubens while listening to Haydn. Followed that with Beethoven's 4th piano concerto and then the 5th symphony at the Asalo hall. The music ranged from sublime to heroic and of course, always hopeful.
A great song by Joan Biaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uL4SVdN9Pw&feature=related

I remember the first time I heard her.  I was in the book store across the street from CCNY buying some books for school.  Her song started and I instantly stopped what I was doing.  It was so beautiful, the clarity of her voice and the tempo so perfect that it was unforgettable.  I started asking people around me who the singer was until I finally found someone that knew of her.

I have been a fan ever since -- that must have been 1961.  She sang old English folk songs, country and the latest Bob Dylan songs all equally perfect.
Saw her in 1986 at the Amnesty International benefit in Denver. She did 'The Times They Are A 'Changing' acapella. Sent shivers up my spine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjc6bH9OTm4
I've been listening to music on earphones some lately as well, but I'm concerned that it might make the ringing in my ears worse.    

I don't usually have the volume up very high (I do this at work and need to hear the phone or if anyone is talking to me).  

I used to sing Joan Biaz songs with my mom.  In fact, I just got her another song book, it is the same one we had back in the 60's, but this one is new.  
I love the Sirius XM Satellite radio in my new car. I'll come home and just sit there in the parking space listening instead of going in. I have a button on my steering wheel that will navigate through the satellites and channels. God there are so many choices and so many niche stations. One of my favorites is Willie's Place. I like Boneyard, Classic Vinyl, Sinatra, Spa, "The 80's Channel", NPR, CNBC, the french station, "The Village"(folk music).
CNBC can raise your blood pressure.
It's Joan Baez.  Just had to say that.  Couldn't take it anymore. :)
I was listening to a jazz radio station while driving to my daughter's yesterday.  A tune from Peggy Lee came on - "I love the way you're breaking my heart" .. had tears running down my face.  Love Harry Connick Jr., that man's voice is magic.  Oscar Peterson, Canadian jazz man, is in a class of his own.  

Canadian guitarist Colin James - that man can swing AND rock n' roll.  His Big Band albums are fabulous stuff - that'll get you moving.  Check out Colin James and the Little Big Band on YouTube.  Some great stuff there.

Went to hear the Montreal Symphony Orchestra with a girlfriend last year, sat near the front.  Now I know why they call it a "symphony".  It was stunning visually and musically and left quite an impression on me.  I had never been to a symphony before that and I would love to go again.

There is a group out of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia called Men of the Deeps.  A group of coalminers who sing a capella, they wear mining caps on their heads with the head lanterns.  They sing some lovely haunting tunes, some in tribute to the miners who have been lost over the years in the "deeps" ..

And of course...Celtic music, particularly the kitchen party variety.  I cannot keep still to that.  I'll be sitting in my chair and my feet will start tapping, then both my feet are dancing away, my hands join in clapping to the beat and sometimes I lose all inhibitions and I'm up on the floor doing my own unschooled version of step dancing and footwork, remnants of my brief Highland dancing education.  When my kids were little, I used to dance them all over the house to that.  That fills my soul with joy and at those moments I am reminded of the richness there is in life.

And then... of course...for me... pipe band music and the bagpipes in general.  My god...there is not much else that moves my soul the way the massed bands at the closing of the Highland Games moves my soul.  A hundred or more bagpipers playing in unison, the sound of the large drums - "boom-boom, boom-boom" at precise moments, swirling their toms in the air before each strike - all the big drum players together - and the small drum corps starting into their own tat-tat and growing louder and louder and louder...and then the pipes are lifted up, the chanters to the mouths and suddenly all at once, the hundred or so pipes begin...all unified  leading into the inevitable Amazing Grace.  I have not yet ever been able to have a dry eye while they play that. And the visuals watching them march off the field one one massed band, kilts swinging, drummers in unison, pipers playing all together, fingers flying on their chanters... the air is just *filled* with the sound of it all and it fills my soul and overflows  ... that's a little piece of heaven right there.

Yeah...I know.  To each his own though, eh?

So much eclectic and interesting music out there ..  such riches.
Joan Baez -- I know that.  I made a typo.  I make lots of them since I bought a new keyboard.
i thinck I amm goen 2 mizpel eveything jus two agrevate twish.
Ok...just gotta say

#1  my dad is a Scottish Highlander to the core.  He tought himself to play the pipes and has published a compilation listing of all piping tunes (dedicated to my mother). I grew up trying to fall asleep to him practicing pipes in the room next to mine.  So, now whenever I hear the pipes, I fall asleep ;)  I LOVE bagpipes!!!!!

almost forgot #2...after all my favs of hard rock: Led Zepplin, AC/DC and such, I have to admit to being a total groupie of this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-5snutHG0&feature=fvst

I (((HEART))) Switchfoot.  Yes, it's catchy and cliche', but so many of their lyrics ring true to my heart.  

The Sirius in my car stinks compared to the XM radio we have at the office.  

But any music in the theatre trumps most anything else.

Gotta shout out for Moussa Diallo.  I love weekends relaxing and putzing round the house with him belting thru the speakers.

Haha...just had to add my 2 cents (posts) to this thread cuz it's been going on for so long....

Izzy

So I'm driving to go skiing the night before the next day. Here I am in the Washington Cascade Mountain Range, miles from anything except Mt. Ranier, trying to avoid CNBC because I'm told it will raise my blood pressure, it's 9:00pm snowy like crazy, and lo and behold the "Bob Dylan Theme Time Radio Show" comes on "The Village" Sirius channel. Whoa! Wherever I am, I am in the right place all of a sudden.

His theme was sugar and all the songs about it. His DJ rap is as cool as his song lyrics that I grew up to. He ends the show explaining why someone should brush their teeth after eating sugar. He got down to the brass tacks about bacteria and waiting an hour before brushing. And he sounded convincing too. Here I was driving along, having Bob Dylan tell me to brush my teeth. . ..

To quote him after he played an old Cajun tune with kick *** accordian and unique guitar:
"Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of old music, but I just don't see anything new coming out of Left Field these days". . . .
"i thinck I amm goen 2 mizpel eveything jus two agrevate twish. "

twish...is that lisp a side effect of treatment?  You should do something about that .. it's a bit incongruous with that motorcycle you ride. ;->

Lov yoo two, Ricky  :)  Hope you're doing well.

Twish
Oh my gawd, Izzy .... I had no idea.  I knew there was a reason we clicked.  Your dad, my dad .. we should get them together. :)  My dad just hung up his bagpipes at 69.  He's been playing since he was 12, competing in Scotland with his band at the World's and all, a number of times.  It gets in your soul, doesn't it? Scottish Highlanders .. the very best kind. ;->  We're Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, castle and all.  We'll have to talk...lol  :)
Scratchy, that's a cool story.  Makes me want to smoke a fatty, eat brown sugar and brush my teeth... :)
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a Bob Dylan radio show as a paradigm that will do to me like folk music did circa 1964 and the great guitar wars did circa 1968. Maybe I should listen to it a couple more times first. . . .
I remember no matter what was on the albums in those days, it was all good. Now everything is so diluted.
"My dad just hung up his bagpipes at 69."

Huh. I hung my bag and pipe at 69 once or twice myself. At least I don't have a daughter to go postin' about it on the internet. :)

I'm a victim of a bagpipe break-in. I had one in the back of my Geo Metro and someone came along and broke the window and threw in another one!
You got off easy - at least they didn't dump another Metro on you too....
"Now everything is so diluted."
I guess that depends on what you're listening to. The three shows I made it to this year were full strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnf4qRRu_U
My favorite 58 year old radical vegetarian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w52ase9m6cg
Totally eclipsed the headliner, Dylan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObL3Ajmr2Y
Lead singer Dexter Holland - Masters Degree and Doctoral candidate in Molecular Biology before deciding punk rock was more lucrative.
http://www.kgsr.com/listenlive/index.aspx

Listen live! Friday night Saxon Pub Austin, Tx.

Got to thinking about this and thought it would be of passing interest that I was here:
http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/programme/the-edinburgh-military-tattoo-programme-1964

... and I remember it like it was 45 years ago :)  Actually, I do remember: late, cold, damp, a blanket, jumping dogs, and about a million pipers and drummers flooding the field ....

Tried to go in 2006 but did not plan ahead for it ....
Wow, interesting post!  My life seems so boring compared to some of your posts!
Wow ... I did not know about that.  That would be an amazing experience.  Thanks for sharing that with me.  (check that out, Izzy!)

Let me know when you're going next time and I'll meet you there. ;->
Nice to see the twists and turns this music thread have taken.  Like Trish and Isobella,  my dad was enmeshed in the Scottish and Irish music scene, but not as a player - more as a groupie if you can imagine this 75 year old gray headed man with a twinkle in his eye and his "Up Your Kilt" t-shirt and his 4'10" grayheaded girlfriend.  He hit all the Scottish games and Irish music festivals from Michigan to Ohio to N Carolina and even out to Texas once.  When he died, an Irish baggpipe player played at his graveside and his favorite Irish band gave him a wake in his favorite Irish pub and composed  a song about him to include all his really bad jokes.  We buried him in his Up Your Kilt t-shirt.  I love the music too although can't get much of it here is West Tecas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI
Do you like this one:) LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU5IODKNbNs

Hugs
Elaine
I'm sorry Andiamo, but in re: Don McLean, I have to go with Steve Martin's, "I don't what it is about that music, Mama, but it depresses me."
Even a white haired Jimmy Page seems cheerful in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m9tDkic_GM
I do like it -- always did.

Thanks for the upbeat song.

I happen to love Van Gogh and this video was well done.

How are you my friend?
Eric
No need to ever apologize for you own tastes.
Loved the Van Gogh paintings. I can't hear Don McLean's voice without thinking of Driving my Chevy to the Levee and how that was on the radio 24/7 in 1971. I was usually driving my VW backcountry to go fishing while it was playing. So, I didn't have a Chevy. I loved my VW which my mechanic uncle called Hitler's Revenge every time I brought it into his gas station. - good memories.
I don't have Sirius but when I travel and rent cars they often do. I heard the Dylan Theme show and though it was some DJ impersonating him. Is it really Dylan?? How cool! I feel really stupid.

Brent
Glad you liked it.  I don't have a Sirius radio, so I know nothing.
Eric
May have been posted, but worth a second listen IMO>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WPyzqRjSI0
It is Dylan; I caught his show once on sat. radio.  He picks a theme for his show and I think I heard one themed on civil rights movement, playing music all somehow related.  He seemed so clever and 'normal'.
Ohhhh my Gooddnnnnnesss at the replys well dunno if youll ever even see this. But Yes music is my First Love  I have my laptop hooked up to my 1000 watt home stereo and still not enough I love stuff like Enigma & Jens Gad  here is a link ya gatta check out   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNFQ7RJbaQ     Keep Onnnn rocking !!!!
Beautiful World - I Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5KShUstyc
This has been my cellphone ringtone for many years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkVGClqrT4

I saw Dylan in Greenwich village when he was just starting out.  I think it was the Cafe Wha.  It was just a small bar and no one knew Dylan at all then.  It was a couple of years before he became famous.

I love music, I always have, I use to aspire to be a music teacher.  I play classical flute and piano, and one of my favorite composers is beethoven.  When I was in high school, I only listened to classical music.  I was in every music organization possible.  I still play flute and piano, and am on a different career path, however I am still involved in music organizations and still practice my two main instruments.  I also listen to a broader range of music now...alt rock, musicals, classical (still), and many others.
   Music is a massive part of my life, it has unbelievable healing power, and I could absolutly lose myself in it.
Classical is my favorite also.  My father was a professional musician.

Here is a great one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmo0H3jxGCA
A playlist with a couple of my favorite,  young, acoustic guitatists. Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys) of San Angelo, Tx. and Noemi B. a Hungarian singer/songwriter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8jxVaz5A0&feature=PlayList&p=51E52867DBFC91E2&index=0

Also, for those who appreciate the 'harder stuff', a compilation of White Stripes clips from their 'Blackpool Lights' performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5PecEFzOg&feature=PlayList&p=9AEBD461C379E106&index=0
only one thing as good as music:
dancing
they both go pretty good together too!
All of the music, that we listened to as teenagers, is still great stuff to this day. My husband and I love the 70s stuff too. Eric clapton, Journey, Heart, Fleetwood mac, The doors, Bob seeger, R.E.O. speedwagon, Juthro Tull, Pink floyd, just to name a few, lol. The problem we're having, is finding good recordings. The format that todays digital recordings are recorded in, just *****. We would love to go to the music store and buy some of these artists cds, butttt the way it sounds doesn't do any of the the music justice. Highly compressed sound tracks dumped onto a cd, capable of holding 50 songs just doesn't sound right to my ears. The new vinyl is the same way, even worse in most cases. So my husband and i decided to track down the old original music on vinyl and cds. So we have been having lots of fun frequenting our local goodwills and salvation army finding the originals. One thing we have discovered, is the new vinyl recorded in japan is much better, than the same, made in u.s.a. counterparts. So if you are lucky enough to own these old great recordings, in original format, never part with them because they are very hard to replace. Same goes for the old gear, that we mostly take for granted. If you guys are lucky enough to own the old vintage stuff like Pioneer, Sansui, Mcintosh, Marantz, Kenwood, in receivers or separates, hang onto them, that old gear, and those old records and cds are worth a lot more than we think. The old gear is just as fun to find and restore, as listening to the music we enjoy. My husband, is enjoying restoring the old speakers also, like the old Electrovoice Aristocrats, and Marquis, with the single duplex drivers. Altec 600 line of drivers they used in their stonehenge model of speakers, like the 604A, 604B, C,D,E and G series drivers are great to listen to, and produce a huge presence and soundstage that are second to none, including modern equipment that now cost 10 times more. All very cool stuff, and is great to listen to, find, and restore. We could not of found a better way to enjoy our time spent together, other than talking to you guys, lol  Enjoy the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2N_uvnvGbI -

A song for our forum - by REM.  

♫♫ - ...Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone - ♫♫