Hepatitis Social Community

Prilosec, Nexium Side Effects: Acid Reflux Medication

Prilosec, Nexium Side Effects: Acid Reflux Medication Heart Attack Class Action Lawsuit Investigation

A recent study found that proton pump inhibitor heartburn treatments such as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid may be linked to an increased risk of heart attack, heart failure or sudden cardiac death. If you or a loved one suffered a heart attack after taking an acid reflux medication, you may have a legal claim

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are some of the most widely prescribed drugs in the United States, and generate around $14 billion in annual sales. Prilosec, Nexium and other PPIs work by reducing the amount of stomach acid produced by the glands in the stomach lining. These heartburn treatments also suppress the levels of nitric oxide in the cells lining the inside of the circulatory system. Lower nitric oxide levels have been associated with heart problems.

Proton pump inhibitor heartburn treatments include:
•Esomeprazole (Nexium)
•Omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
•Lansoprazole (Prevacid)
•Dexlansoprazole (Dexilant)
•Pantoprazole (Protonix)
•Rabeprazole (Aciphex)

Of these heartburn treatments, Nexium is the best-selling proton pump inhibitor. It recently became available without a prescription. Many PPIs are now available over the counter; however, acid reflux medications have not been approved for long-term use. Patients using these OTC acid reflux medications for more than two weeks should talk with their doctors.

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/58482-prilosec-nexium-side-effects-acid-reflux-medication-heart-attack-class-action-lawsuit-investigation/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Top+Class+Actions+Newsletter+September+...&utm_source=YMLP&utm_term=
http://healthquestions.medhelp.org/prilosec-for-nausea
What about people staying outside the US? will they also be compensated ?

Not entirely sure what this has to do with HCV but I heard a story on NPR about this over the summer. It seemed the risk is for those who are already at risk rather than your Average Joe with no history of a cardiovascular event.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/06/11/413433350/data-dive-suggests-link-between-heartburn-drugs-and-heart-attacks

______________________________________________________________

The increase in risk is about 16 to 20 percent, depending on the particular drug involved," Shah says.

Assuming that link holds up, and the risk is spread evenly throughout the population, someone with a low risk of heart attack doesn't have much to worry about. "If your risk of a cardiovascular event or a heart attack is one in a million, now it is 1.2 in a million," Shah says.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum
This has to do with many of us having been or are currently on opremazole (Prilosec) As you may know, those of us with cirrhosis often suffer from nausea and can't eat. Doctors prescribe this for nausea. I thought it was a given that everyone would know that. There have been discussions and concerns about this medicine in the recent past.
Sorry I posted it. Every time I post I get a lot of grief. This is on topic and of concern to many Heppers who take this medicine.
I guess. Call and check with them.