Herpes Community

A person who has never had chickenpox can have herpes zoster?

A person who has never had chickenpox in his life may have herpes zoster burps?... Or firstly must have chickenpox?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, you must have chicken pox in order to have zoster (or shingles, as it's commonly called). If someone who has shingles is around someone who hasn't had chicken pox, and the uninfected person is exposed, that person would get chicken pox, not shingles.

What makes you think you have it? There are lots of things that can look like shingles. If you or someone you know thinks they have it, they should see a doctor and ask for whatever it is they see to be cultured.
I am already immunized.  Actually my girlfriend is who is having some shingles or anything similar behind her armpit, one in the back and about 2 in the chest.  I told her that she looks a lot like zoster shingles, but she tells me she has never had chicken pox in her life.
Shingles is usually on one side of the body, so it would be all on one side, like on the right side of her chest, under her right arm, and on the right side of her back. It's also usually in a pattern, and not spread out too far, with a spot here, and a spot over there. If it's not like that, it's not likely shingles.

Could she have the chicken pox? Has she been vaccinated? If she's been vaccinated, she can still get chicken pox - it doesn't offer 100% protection, and it may make a chicken pox infection much milder.

Eczema, psoriasis, hives and a bunch of other skin issues can be mistaken for shingles. If it's even a possibility of chicken pox, though, she should see her doctor today, even if she has to go to an urgent care.

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.