Herpes Community

Confused on the results. Please clarify

I went to the lab to get tested for HSV2 to find out if I was positive or negative.

HSV 1 and 2- Spec AB, IgG w/Rfx
HSV1 IgG, Type Spec
The results  came back 37.80 and the flag level was high.  

The index was 0.00-0.90
Negative 1.09

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec          <0.91

Note: Negative indicates no antibodies detected to HSV-2. Equivocal may suggest early infection. If clinically appropriate, retest at a later date. Positive indicates antibodies detected to HSV-2.

any help here, much appreciated!
COMMUNITY LEADER
So you're results for hsv2 were 1.09? Am I reading that correctly?

That's considered equivocal, or indeterminate. It means we don't know if you have it, technically. The official cutoff for positive is 1.10, though the CDC and experts in the field believe that's too low, and results under 3.5 need to be confirmed.

Why were you testing? Have you had symptoms? A known exposure? How long ago was your last possible exposure (when was the last time you had sex)?

It can take up to 12 weeks to show positive on this test. It could mean that your antibodies are developing, if you tested soon after an exposure, or it could be that you are one of the people who just test higher even though you're negative. Some people just get low false positives (that's not exactly you, but the theory is the same).

So you can test again at 12 weeks past exposure, if you haven't already reached 12 weeks. If you have, you can test again with an IgG or get a Western Blot. Your doctor can order that, or you can go through Terri Warren on her site (she's one of the world's leading experts on herpes), but you'll have to self-pay.

https://westoverheights.com/getting-a-herpes-western-blot/
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.