Herpes Community

How long does it take for herpes to breakout after being infected?

I just found out I have herpes and just before showing symptoms I had had unprotected sex with 2 men within 2 weeks of finding out (My boyfriend at the time, and then following a break up a new man I began dating). Just weeks before sleeping with these men I had an STI screening and came back clean. Then I slept with them and contracted herpes so one of them must have given it to me, right?

I first noticed a herpes sore on my vagina about 12-24 hours after having sex with one man. However about 9 days previous to this I had sex with a different man. Who is likely to have given it to me?

The guy who was 9 days before the breakout told me he had recently had a full STI screen and was clean. However the guy who happened on the night before was within 24hours of outbreak of sores and that seems a bit quick? Neither of them appeared to have any symptoms.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
I'm not an expert; however I had a herpes scare a couple of years ago. My advice to you would be to still tell both of them to get tested because MEN WILL LIE about getting tested, being clean, etc. Although neither of them had symptoms, you still probably caught it off of a healed herpes sore, as the infection was still active on the skin. I'm thinking that you probably caught it off the man you had sex with 9 days before, but again, I am no expert. I hope I helped out a little though.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your advice. I am new to this site and so just realised there is a specific herpes forum so I reposted my question there as well. I will tell both of them. it sounds petty but a lot of my wanting to know is so I know who to be mad at and who to feel sorry for. Also just plain curiosity of which one of them has ruined my life :( i am only 22.
Your health is definitely NOT PETTY. You have every right to know who did this to you; believe me I was beyond mad when I thought I had it. However, It's not HIV,it can't kill you and there are plenty of medicines that will reduce breakouts and prevent you from giving it to someone else.
Thanks x
Have you been tested? I did not see any information regarding an actual test.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.