Penis Irritation Comes & Goes......Herpes?
Received unprotected oral sex from woman I didn't know on April 12/10.
One week later began to panic and suffer severe anxiety.
Suddenly I began to experience genital itching and an overall feelinb of being ill including lack of appetite.
Two weeks later, still itchy and suffering from severe anxiety, I began to wash my penis in a vigorous manner using a strong anti-bacterial soap.  Public health doctor says she sees no STD.  
Week 3, the itch would come and go so I switch from anti-bacterial soap to salt baths.  I used large amounts of salt b/c I wanted the itch to stop.  After a week, I noticed some dryness and irritation around the head of the penis.  Wasn't sure if it was from the different soaps or possible herpes outbreak.  Clean test for gonorrhea and clamydia.
Week 4, stopped the salt baths and went to back to regular soap, also started using an anti-fungal cream.  The itch still came and went, some irritated skin only around the rim of the penis.  Saw a different doctor who says she sees no sign of STD but thinks my sysptoms may be psychological.
Week 5 I have 4 days feeling 100% back to noraml and then all of a sudden I began to get a sore throat.  The sore throat leads to more itching on the head of my penis.  Only visible sign is some redness and irritation on the rim of penis in the same spot.
Week 6 I feel fine for 2 days without symptoms but the itch continues to come and go.  Viisible irriattion also comes and goes.  I stop using the anti-fungal cream.
Week 7 I return to the doctor for a follow up.  She still says she sees nothing but suggests that maybe my constant cgange in hygiene might be the cause of my penis irritation.  She says that if the irritation comes and goes, it is like JUST an irritation and not an STD.  
After this visit to doctor I go  6 days of feeling 100% without symtoms or itch.
Presently, Week 8, after the 6 days of feeling great, my itchhas returned for the past 3 days and there is a slightly visible irritation that I would describe as an irritated penis rim with slight redness.

I know I'm being long-winded BUT what can possibly be casuing an intermittent itch on the rim of my penis that also includes an intermittent visible irritation when 3 doctor visits have ruled out Herpes?

I have not had any fever, no discharge, no penis pain, and no blisters.  But I have had itchiness, irritation, discomfort, fatigue, anxiety, some soreness in testicles and an overall feeling of being sick.

ALL symptoms for the past 8 weeks have been intermittent.

Any ideas?
And I also want to defend Newtothis in saying that, we all know that things like bumps on legs and pimples etc are not always herpes, but obviously we are in situations where we possibly came across this virus, and now all of a sudden things are popping up, and that is why we are seriously considering it to be herpes. I don't know for sure if what I have is herpes, but I do know for sure whatever I have going on right now is def. related to my last encounter b.c I was fine for so long, and then the encounter, and now things are happening.. and she has a scabbed over (she said it was scabbed over but to me it was a little red dot... don't really know the visual stages of oral herpes though) cold sore.. so I mean.. its just logical to assume that its very possible this is herpes.
You have multiple postings and it's most helpful to keep things in your original thread.

Herpes just does not pop up on multiple parts of the body. If oral to genital transmission occurs, you will almost certainly have classic symptoms on your genitals. At this point, consider posting on the STD or herpes forum with Terri Warren or Dr. Hook or Dr. Handsfield, only because they'll have a stronger statement to say than even grace and I do, and they are medical professionals with extensive experience in the herpes and STD field.

You may want to re-read graces and my opinions here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/What-are-symptoms-of-an-initial-infection-of-Herpes-1/show/1246477?personal_page_id=1408622#post_5713122

Assumptions are never a good thing. As grace stated, for peace of mind you can get an IgG type specific blood test at the 3 month mark. And of course, be seen by your medical provider to determine the cause for your symptoms (which again, do not sound at all like herpes).
I am sorry for the multiple postings, I was just commenting on other peoples posts and explaining what I had so that maybe we could find similarities/answers. I will most certainly post on the other forums and inquire further if needed. I will get another blood test at 3 months also for peace of mind, but I do have a last question and it may be useful to others who read these threads. With regards to antibodies, testing, and time... Is there any correlation between the fact that I have not had any classic symptoms at the 4 week mark and testing negative on blood type specific, meaning its been 4 weeks and I would presume the virus would have fought to come out by now thus leading to antibodies to fight the virus in return. I have seen Grace remark about the 2-20 days, but then I have seen her, as well as others, that most people do not get symptoms at all... But I have also read a response in which she told someone that they would have had symptoms already (I believe that person was at the 6 week mark). If in most cases it comes out within 2-20 days..and I was at 4 weeks when I took blood test, why can't I assume that I have a very low probability of testing positive at the 3 month mark?
You are way over-analyzing things, and nothing at this point is indicative of you having herpes. There is absolutely nothing more you can do but follow-up with testing at 3 months, where you'll most likely find it negative. I'd walk away from the computer, get your head out of your lap looking for symptoms, and take a walk, spend time with your family, or find something much more productive to do than worrying about herpes!

I in fact HAVE genital herpes, and it does not consume my days! There are SO many other things that are stressful and fill up my days in life. I post on here to try to help others, but other than that herpes takes a seat far, far back on the bus of my life (actually I dropped it off several stops ago!)  :-)
LOL. I am quite a normal young male though I def. admit to having OCD with certain things, and this being one of them. I get anxiety over it constantly. I have struggled back and forth of being obsessed and not caring, and hopefully when I get this groin pain issue resolved (which I do believe is not herpes), then maybe I can move on from this. I do appreciate your help, it works, I find comfort in your encouragement and I also blindly trust your opinion. I apologize for my persistent questioning. I just stress it so much b.c I am a caring person and do not want to transmit it to anyone and am afraid that if I do have it, every encounter I will ever have will be that much less enjoyable because of this. If i was married it would be a different story. But oh well, and so it goes.
Have you thought about talking to someone about your OCD tendencies? That could help you... not being judgmental here, I've been to therapy/counseling at times in my life; it can be a huge help. The fact that you worry about transmitting something you don't even have, and already are thinking sex will be less enjoyable because of that, well, that's a big admission. I know my sex life is better than ever - herpes did not change that at all. So, not sure if you've talked to someone, but consider it. Move on from herpes though - really, there are many other productive things to do :-)
You know, my doc recommended counseling as she def noticed that I had extreme anxiety and that this situation gave me considerable psychological issues.  Herpes or no herpes, it's worth doing.  I find that talking it out helps me greatly.

As for my symptoms, today everything has gone down, from irritation to redness to itching.

Here is a question (that may hve been answered but i'd like to ask again):  So if I only received oral, it is more likely that the lady in question would have HSV 1 and not HSV 2.  While HSV 2 is possible orally, it's not as likely, correct?  And seeing as I already have HSV 1 orally, is it safe to say that I wouldn't get HSV 1 on my genitals?  So, what are the real risks % of getting HSV 2 on my genitals from oral considering i already have HSV 1orally?
HSV2 occurs orally in about 3% of all oral herpes cases. Of those, shedding occurs1% of the days of the year, or 3 days annually. The odds are pretty much astronomical at that point, and hopefully that puts things in perspective for you - aside from the fact that grace stated that this doesn't sound like herpes.

I think you should re-read your own first paragraph as well. Put herpes behind you.
petal, thanks for all the feedback.  i'm sure i speak for all 3 of us.  i would like to make a point.  i think what we're feeling is more concern than obsession or unnecessary speculation.  the process behind the inevitable anxiety is that although most of our symptoms don't point toward herpes, there is always the chance that we are part of the 'exception' and not the 'rule'.  maybe one of our many symptoms is indeed herpes and the rest is mental.  that's a slim chance, but still a chance.  thats a peek into my mind when i get worried about it.  i got worried because i kissed someone with genital herpes, and then started worrying about other partners i've had.  i've put the possibility of auto-inoculation behind me at this point, since i don't i believe i even contracted oral herpes from that girl.  

honestly, at this point, i'm afraid to have a test, although i know i should.  i will be getting a comprehensive std screen at the same time when i do indeed go.  

for me personally, the worry, inspecting myself, and time on the computer looking this stuff up doesn't take much of my time and i actually think this experience has been good for me, because i'm muuuuuuch more educated on the subject of herpes and other stds now, after having this scare.  in a way its a wake up call.  the 'not knowing' is really what generates the anxiety, for me at least.  if i knew one way or the other, i can deal with it in a positive way.   at this point, i'm convinced i have something, just not herpes.  maybe not even an std, but something is out of whack.
w/ regard to testing, i understand i need to go and get tested, and i will accept the results.  it seems thought that w/out overt symptoms (OBs), there is still a lot of mystery after testing.  in any scenario, w/out overt symptoms (OBs), one or both strains of positive hsv could be in either place.  i have seen testimony of people who have had both strains orally.  i can't recall ever reading of someone having both genitally.  thus, many possibilities remain after testing w/out a culture/swab of an actual outbreak for specific diagnosis in terms location.  

this is worrisome to me.  if i come back negative, and then negative again at 3 month mark, i will put this behind me completely.  in the case of any positives on tests, it seems this 'mystery' of whether it's above or below waistline will remain.  

i bring this up, because i started having stuff happen on lips AND below the belt at the same time, but never an outbreak.  otherwise i wouldn't so much worry about location.  lately i've been hoping for an outbreak, just so i would know, since testing won't tell me location.
honestly not everything that goes on in between our legs is due to herpes.

remind yourselves that just because it has feathers doesn't mean it's a duck.  Many things cause bumps, itching and redness.  It's really just not worth obsessing about herpes.

grace
hi guys.  i've recently stopped worrying that this was herpes, like so many have advised, but like clockwork, another development has me suspicious again.  

today i developed a cluster of blisters on my left hand index finger, just after popping a similar single blister on the corresponding middle finger.  this cluster popped up after masurbation (friction and heat) and contact with the other popped one.  i never would have the single blister could be herpes, so didn't worry about contact during masturbation.  

i have some on other fingers too.  Dr. Rockoff of the derm forums says that herpetic whitlow typically manifests on the tips of fingers while dishydrotic eczema is more typically on the sides of fingers.  i had a few a month or two ago and didn't think anything of it.  i would assume this is dishydrotic eczema, due to the symptoms and the fact that people tend to get this when it gets hot, and it is really hot now in tx.  what i'm worried about is how it popped up right after masturbation and the fact that the area where the cluster of blisters popped up contacted an open blister on the next finger.  when i make a fist, that knuckly on my index touches where the open blister is on my middle perfectly.  if i'm not mistaken, these other non-viral conditions that cause blisters on finger such as dishydrotic eczema do not spread by contact.  if that's wrong, please correct me. it would be a relief.  

anyway, another thing i should add is that i was diagnosed and treated for lyme disease last year.  candida (yeast) can be a big problem with lyme, and i have very little to no symptoms anymore.  i understand that candida (yeast) can affect many parts of the body at the same time.   in my laziness i stopped taking probiotics after being treated and am wondering if my mouth dryness, pain during urination, skin breaking out all over, and blisters on my fingers could be due to candida.
see your provider for a proper work up if you are still having symptoms.

grace
My itchiness still comes and goes and I'm starting to wonder if it's a contact dermititis issue.  10 weeks this coming Monday, still no blisters, just some redness, internittent itching and lately a slight bit of discomfort in the groin/testicles (not sure if this is in psychological).  I feel like I've had a sore throat for a couple weeks, again, not sure if this is a result of stress and anxiety.

If 3 doctors said they don't see any sign of herpes, should I consider seeing a dermatologist?
one more thing, my irritation has ONLY ever been on the top, head of the penis and around the top of the rim (nothing on the underside of the head/shaft)

I was feeling better for about a week but I'm having severe anxiety again over this issue.....10 weeks now.....

what the heck can last for 10 weeks if it's not herpes?  I just feel like crying all the time...crawling under a rock and never coming back out....
fungal infections can last years.

honestly,  not everything is herpes.

grace
But doctors didn't diagnose me with anything except irritated skin.  So let's say it is not in fact herpes.  What the heck is it?  A doc would have seen a fungal infection, right?  Should I request a dermatologist then?

You're the best Grace.  Your responses are always a great help.
if you want to see a dermatologist then by all means do so.

grace
what about slight testicular discomfort after 9 weeks?  it's not painful, just discomfort in the testicle/groin area (right side only)....is that related to possible herpes?
you are obsessing about this.  everything is not herpes.

grace
good luck natch.  hope u get some answers.
thanks newtothis99, you too!

and gracefromHHP, yes I am obsessing but it's hard not to when i keep getting one symptom or another for almost 10 straight weeks.
i feel your pain natch.  lol.  we just can't win for losing.  i first had weird things on my mouth that are still there, and then on my genitals that i can't explain, and now i'm getting blisters on fingers, although i hope this is dyshidrotic eczema and not whitlow.

u'll get it figured out.  take care
thanks, you too!
OK, so it's been 12 weeks now.  I get the odd itch now and again and I still see a little bit of skin irritation/redness that tends to come and go.

I still haven't had any blisters at all but I'm wondering what exactly would qualify as a "lession"?  I tend to see some patchy redness and irritation on the head of the penis (comes and goes) but I'm not sure if I should consider this a lession or just an irritation.  How can tell if it's cause for concern?

My last doctor's visit was at 8 weeks and at that time the doctor said she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary.
this does not sound like herpes going on.
OK, I've had a good week.  I had a return trip to the public health office and another physical examination has ruled out herpes.  I also found a good infants eczema soap and everything is looking and feeling way better....almost back to normal.

Thanks for all the input and advice but I think I've finally realized that I've simply stressed and obsessed over this for far too long.

I'M OVER IT!!!!!!!
Good to hear natch, Im having the same symptoms as you Itching and tingling but not on the rash I have on My Penis Glans, Diarrhea, My left foot has a blunt burning sensation to it, lasts about 1 second then goes, Itchy body all over sometimes, A 1 second throb just below my nose but above my lip.

It has been a month and 2 weeks since I recieved unprotected oral sex. I just recieved my results IGG HSV-1 NEGATIVE 0.862 AND HSV-2 NEGATIVE 0.550, I dont understand this as I had a coldsaw when I was little, which surely would mean Id test positive for HSV-1?
I'm back.  After over 4 months of stress & anxiety and some brief excitement, I'm back.

As you can see by my last post, I was cleared at 12 weeks of all STI's but for HSV it was only based on 4 physical exams over the 12 weeks period.

On August 23rd I had unprotected sex with my partner.  On August 29th, she complained about a bad itch in her groin area and also said she felt tired and a little sick.

So I had a huge relapse.  I've convinced myself that I must have HSV afterall and now I've passed it on over 4 months later.  I should mention that I wasn't sexually active during that initial 12 week period and since July 8, I have only had intercourse a couple of times.

Well now that my partner has been feeling off (she says it's a probably yeast infection), I'm a mess.  I'm all stress and anxiety again and I'm didn't sleep last night.

In 20 weeks, can I NOT have a herpes outbreak but STILL have herpes?
your partner needs to go and be seen and get a proper evaluation of her symptoms. this isn't likely to be herpes going on.
yes, she will go to get checked out for what she believes is a yeast infection.  

from my end, should I just relax, stop stressing and just wait to hear back from my partner?  would it be odd to never have an outbreak in 20 weeks but still be carrying the herpes virus?  thx grace.

I think you need to come up with a better hobby than worrying about herpes at this point :)   Perhaps come walk my dogs for me and give them baths and then figure out what is eating my potatoes out of my garden and keep it out of there?  I also have painting you can do if you get bored :)

really not everything is herpes. don't let guilt make you think otherwise.

Guilt is my biggest enemy for sure.....but I actually do like painting  ; )
you like to paint?  perhaps we can make a deal....he he he
So if a man has oral HSV 1 and he performs oral sex on a female partner, that female can get HSV 1 on her genitals, right?

OK, so then can the same woman then give HSV 1 back to the same man on HIS genitals if they have sex in the future?

(yes, i actually LIKE painting!)
No because its highly unlikely once you have the virus to be reinfected in another area of your body as you have built up antibodies.
so what is more likely then:

to get hsv 1 on a 2nd location or to get hsv 2 on the genitals after RECEIVING oral sex?

i was under the impression that getting hsv 2 from oral is about a 3% risk
neither are likely at all. personally I wouldn't even put them on my things to worry about list - ever.

no, it's about 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2, not a 3% risk.
maybe it's all in my head.  since my partner told me on sunday about not feeling well and being a little "itchy", i have developed an itchy crotch, itchy feet, sore lower back, sore lower abdoman and i'm always tired.

i really hope this is just my mind playing tricks on me.

i even noticed 2 tiny red marks under my foreskin.  if i stretch the skin out, they like like little red irritations, barely a bump.  but there are 2 individual marks maybe half an inch apart, both the size of a pencil tip.
stop poking and prodding and stretching things!!!
almost 26 weeks has passed since my questionable contact with the random stranger.

I still get itchiness but I've never had a blister.  The itchiness STILL coems and goes but seems to be brought on by contact/friction.

If I've gone 6 months without ever seeing a blister, can I finally rule out herpes?
if you want, get a type specific herpes igg blood test and then move on.
Hey there Natch0412,

I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms as you first mentioned at the beginning of this thread for about 2 months now. My penis is red and itchy around the head and the skin looks inflamed and a purple-red color around the bottom. I also have white patches on the back of my tongue. I was panicking that this was herpes like you, but I got examined 6 times by 3 different doctors to make sure lol. All STI tests are negative.

Each doctor told me that it was not an STI and not to worry about it.. But they did not treat my problems. I am still itchy around the head of my penis, shaft and sometimes testicles and thighs but I never had any herpetic lesions of any sort. I have been dealing with this problem but it is really uncomfortable at work sitting at my desk.

My doctor said it might be psychological too because the girl I was with just before this occurred was quite promiscuous and I was worried about it. But I am kind of at peace with what I did now and the symptoms still persist.

What kind of anti-eczema soap did you use? I really want this to clear up. I cannot masturbate or have sex anymore because my penis gets so sore and red. Really depressing. I think that it is thrush personally because it is affecting my tongue and penis so I will ask the urologist I am seeing at the end of the month about anti-fungals or something.

WorriedSick
hello I received unprotected oral sex a about 3 months ago and signs of and std come and go, it rarely burns when I pee only after masterbation and after I pee a watery urine comes out, I have no signs of warts or anything, I have not been tested yet I'm just wondering how to stop this irritation of my penis it's really irritating I get the odd twitch at the top it, I'm not sure if I have an STD or not and I don't want to go to the doctors cause my parents will know if I have one and I'm only 15, somebody help me?
-Watery urine comes out after I pee
-Painful urination after Masterbation
Hhkm
Hlo mate have you found what was that bcz i got exact same problem i had oral sex 3 weeks ago and after tht got few tiny red pimples on penis head visible and invisible sometime .doctor took swab and herpes is negetive .i went to dermatologist as well he said its not any sign of warts and herpes it could be just normal itching he gave me anti fungal cream.its 3 weeks now there is still uncomfortable pain head looks inflamed and red purple ring .i m very worried about std.i feel sick loose motoin sore throat and feel bit pain in testicles as well sometime.plz reply
I had unprotected oral with a lady about three weeks ago and I have a red rim and its tender and painful I'm very worried
This is a plea from all the random ppl around the world who are googling and googling and stumbled on this thread.

Did you guys ever find out if it was HSV2? Please share if you have taken the IGG hsv blood test...you have no idea how a few minutes of your time typing will help us immensely.
Im experiencing the same thing and I just got checked out and the doc said it was nothing..
  I had unprotected oral Dec I had irritation that I believed was from shaving but 3 weeks after exposure, my scrotum started burning and in the creases were also irritated including the perineum. I started to feel uncomfortable sitting and some burning on the back of my thighs and buttocks.

I went to several Doctors who say it is not herpes because there are no typical symptoms ie; no blisters, fever, flu like symptoms. But I have read that the virus can affect your nerves and cause symptoms like mine.

I have taken 2 IgG HSV tests one at 4 weeks and one 8 weeks and both were negative. Waiting to take another at 12 weeks and will see.

I am starting to think this is an  "atypical" HSV infection because
antifungal meds haven't resolved the issue. The burning sensation is a lot less than when I first noticed it and when I'm not moving I don't feel it at much. It gets very irritated when I move around a lot and my underwear rub the area.
I will post my test results and give an update on my symptoms when I take the next test.
Um i dont have oral sex but i do havs a slight red penis and when i give a slight pinch i feel an itch. My penis head is also dry and wrinkly. Can someone be nice enough to tell me what this is. I am only 14 and dont have sex i only masterbate. I think its my soap thats causing this.