Questions and Confused

I hear all the issues bout the false positives, and the western blots and flawed test. why isn't the health (such as doctors or nurses) community concerned or more informed. why is the cut off 1.09 then after they say positive. wouldn't it be zero? or is it because chicken pox, shingles stuff like that. Do they work on cures, vaccines????
like there's not enough info on this. why under 3.5 be considered a suspect false positive. has anybody ever had such a number and take the western blot and it say negative??? theres so many questions  
COMMUNITY LEADER
There is always a value to ogg hsv testing. It looks for antibodies not the virus itself. These tests can get confused by other odd protiens of a similar weight or crossover from hsv1 antibodies.
Yes, many people that have low positives (3.5 and below) that turn out to be false.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Igg tests. Sorry about that
But what makes it false. Of the antibodies are there wouldn't that mean the virus is there
COMMUNITY LEADER
Reread my comment. The hsv2 tests are sensitive and can pick up other odd protiens of a similar weight. In other words the test can be fooled. It can also be fooled by hsv1 antibodies. Think of the value as a confidence number. The higher the number tbe more confident it saw the antibodies. A low positive means it saw something but it isn't sure what.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I reread your previous posts. You had a low positive igm test. These tests are useless and should never be given. They are notoriously inaccurate and false positives are extremely common. So common wven tbe cdc is against igm for herpes.
Have you ever been through this personal experience? Just asking no need to offend. You know a lot on this topic
COMMUNITY LEADER
I have actually
Oh my gosh what happened, can I hear your story
COMMUNITY LEADER
Just had a low false positive igg test that i had a western blot confirm it was a false positive.
Your situation is a bit differant as the igm has a whole lot more false positive issues. I have had so many people with the same scenario as you on medhelp. I can't ever recall anyone actually testing positive later with an igg test.
Wow that's crazy.
I wonder why they haven't fixed anything or found new testing
COMMUNITY LEADER
Because hsv is not a health threat and there's no money in it. To Dr's it's just a skin condition. They have far worse things to deal with. It really is just public stigma that makes it sound so bad

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.