Herpes Community

waiting for western blot results...

IgG HSV1 is <0.91
IgG HSV2 is 1.80

I'm waiting for my western blot results to come back... what is the likelihood that this is a false positive?
Any test can give a false positive theoretically. Were you knowingly exposed? What made you get tested? I would bet on it being correct. Sorry for the diagnosis, I feel your pain. Been 8 months since my diagnosis, but it is manageable.
not knowingly exposed, initially got the test because i just wanted to get a full check because i've never gotten a full screen before. haven't had any outbreaks that i know of genitally or orally. hopefully i can cope with the diagnosis if it does indeed come back positive... i am just wishing and hoping that it comes back negative...
Did you have multiple sexually partners or a recent sexual partner? You can get HSV 1 orally obviously but HSV 2 typically stays in the genital area so it must have been from sex. You didn't have symptoms just asked to have a herpes blood test?
Also, iGG tests are always more accurate than Igm tests.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Igm tests are useless. Your 1.8 igg value is clearly in the suspect low positive range. Anything lower that a 3.5 needs confirmation. The odds this is a false positive is about 50/50.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.