Hysterectomy Community

How long does the mood swings and menopause type feelings last?

I had a unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy and Hysterectomy back in 2007 when I was 27 years old. 2 forms of birth control could not stop an 8 month long period. (Non-stop). I was prepared for the mood swings, hot flashes, and all the other weird stuff that came with it. But not for this long. And now depression, no sex drive, major hot flashes, and bad insomnia. Nobody can answer me on how much longer. I think I ran my only ova into the ground. What should I do?
I'm sorry you're dealing with this especially at such a young age! Your remaining ovary is likely producing far fewer hormones than it would be in a woman in natural menopause. It may have shut down completely. Hysterectomy has been shown to impair ovarian function. The ovaries of women with all their parts produce hormones their whole lives to keep them healthy, something gynecologists fail to tell women before hysterectomy and/or oophorectomy. :(

Are you not taking any hormones? Estrogen usually helps symptoms and has also been shown to mitigate some of the many increased health risks associated with female organ removal. I was in an awful almost non-functional state before getting enough estrogen into my system and maintaining that level. The depression and memory and cognition loss were scary! And I was almost 50 when my organs were removed.

I hope this helps! Please post back and let us know how you're doing. I know how alone we can feel during all of this.