Improve MedHelp Suggestions Community

Suggestion: Ban political discussions in journals

It seems that every other day I see a political debate breaking out on somebody's journal. This is a MEDICAL website. I don't understand why so many political debates are breaking out on a medical website. People join MedHelp because either they have medical concerns, or want to help others (or both). When I see these debates I get the same feeling that I get when I go on CNN.com and see comments blaming Bush or Obama after a story about an earthquake in China.

I understand that political discussions are banned on the forums, and I think this should apply to journals also. I just think they detract from this website's purpose. I don't volunteer my own political views and I don't care to read those of other MedHelp members. This is supposed to be a community united in helping others and the political discussions just divide MedHelp as a community. I realize that everybody has strong opinions nowadays but there are more appropriate places on the web for people to voice them.

J.
But they are journals in personal profiles. Nobody is asking you to go near a profile of any member at all. If you don't like the journal entry, ignore it. People should be allowed write what they want in their own journals on their own profile pages. As long as it does not contain any swear word and the likes. Nothing wrong with it at all. I do it all the time. So I would say as I am saying. But I see it as my profile page. I don't ask people to read my profile page. That is an option they have. Just like the various forums and groups are options too. If I don't like a group I don't go near it because I know what is in that group. All about choice.
I agree with MrGreen.  (on this issue at least).  If it doesn't interest you, don't read it.  Those are personal pages and these people are expressing their personal thoughts.  They do not in any way, fashion or form interfere with the medical forums.  I say, leave them alone!
Agree with MrGreen and Sarajmt.  I'd like to ad that just by mentioning what you have mentioned, you have made a political statement.  There is very little anybody can do that does not have a political attachment.  It has always been that way and will always be that way.  Even during the best of times, politics gets involved.  Without a political difference, there is absolutely nothing that makes us different, and that would be a waste of life.

It will always be accepted to make political statements, it's not accepted only when those political statements do not share your political ideology.
I wouldn't have a problem with them except when people make these political journals public, the comment links flood the news/status feeds of the medical forums and drown out the on-topic stuff due to their popularity. Even though I ignore them I find the number of links to completely off-topic stuff annoying. And I just think that there is such a thing as TMI (too much information) in the wrong context. That's why members of politically-orientated forums usually don't post journals about their STDs, and professional health counselors don't discuss their political beliefs with clients.

Some medical websites restrict journals/blogs to personal medical issues only. While I don't think that MH should go that far, I think journals on a topic as provocative as politics should be private or restricted to friends.  
I do agree that the idea is for people to see the link to the journal entry. What happens after that is up to everybody who sees it. A lot of people post in them. Others ignore them. Bit like your status. You can write a comment in there too. People will see that too. But the links vanish the more others write in their journals. Unless people are commenting a lot on one particular joural entry. Which has happened over the past week. One about Obama. Seems to have been there all week. Lot of people must have been posting in it. Gives them a break from posting medical stuff. The first thing we all do is answer medical questions on our forum of choice. That will always come first. I just might post about STDs on a political forum and let you know what happens. ( LOL )
I agree with joggen. It does get overwhelming and are used to bait people who have differing views. There should be someway of handling all the responses to that journal rather than overshadowing everything else. There are groups for politics and the such. But I also feel it should go for all journals, not just politics.
They would have a very hard time trying to keep up with 10 million users. Which is the figures they claim to have as members. But it is up to the owners. Who were fair in their views with one of my journal posts. As long as I had the sources name it was fine. Fine because it was on my profile page. I had forgot to write the source for the topic. That was pointed out to me by a Mod. Other than that the journal entry was fine. So that is their stance on it so far. I do agree that you can't keep everybody happy. There will always be something that someone sees wrong. That's what makes life what it is. Love it or hate it.
I think the issue is that it overwhelms the sidebar? I think it showing up in the sidebar with every response when someone starts a popular journal regardless of the topic of that journal. So the solution would be an alternative to overloading the side bar. So as to not be so distracting when it shows up in all the forums sidebar? The way it is now your response shows up in the sidebar of every forum or group you belong to, same with the next person.
Any ideas about this?  How can we let people know there is an active journal without clogging up the sidebar?  We'd love to hear from you all.  :)

Emily
I am certainly no computer programmer, but it seems to be the many responses to the journal that are the problem and not the journals themselves? So maybe a crawler listing all active journals, or even relocating them so they are not constantly a sidebar distraction. Or keep it in the sidebar but not attach the sidebar  to every forum topic based on who belongs to what forum? In other words a free standing sidebar? I don't even know that I am even making any sense here! I think I am just confusing myself and everyone else. lol
I for one think that the freedom to have a journal is a good thing...members can choose whether they go there are not, clogging up the side bars  does it over whelm I havent seen that have the other members noticed ...? Many do like to go to have a fight but they can be deleted its not taking control away from the journal
Hey Emily .....MH could always put it to the vote ...  
  I look at the side bar only when I board and have nothing better to do.  So, maybe the forum should have  some web based games to play so that I'm never board to death.

Lots of times I see someone has commented on a photo, which the photo has nothing to do with the forum.  So, maybe get rid of the ability to post photo's is one good suggestion.

Some times I've noticed people have added to their Mood Tracker.  Probably should eliminate the Mood Trackers too.

There are times when I notice there is an "expert activity" portion to the side bar.  I think we should get rid if the experts.

And then there's the "Community Members" portion where some members will have an image of them selves.  Kind of funny to be talking to a dog or flowers or such.  I think we should get rid of the member images.

Then, back to the forums, there are times when I see subjects that have nothing to do with the forum topics.  I think we should get rid of those people that post in the wrong forums.

Shoot, while we're at it.  there's many times when i see on-topic posts in these forums.  Probably the biggest offense!!  I think we should get rid of all the members in order to keep that from happening.

Did I forget anything?
Well this morning the whole side ting was taken up by comments on a photo. But we hear nobody complaining about that. Yet a photo is not medical either. So to want rid of one you would have to want rid of all that are not medical. Photos. Jouranl entries and even the status of some members. Can it be done? To keep it 100% medical. I very much doubt it. Unless profile pages had medical journals and non medical journals. The medical journals show up on one side of the page and all other non medical journal posts could simply flick by up top in side type of news ticker. It would mean a lot of work for somebody. The news ticker could have non medical postings by name with a link, the tickers you can stop by putting your mouse on them, and the photo posts could also appear in the news ticker. It doesn't have to be big. I have used them before on a few sites I used to own. Just a case of a smart programmer being able to make it so the right links to go the news ticker. Which to me is a whole lot of work. Which will never happen. And I see no problem with things as they are. Just offering the alternative sollution.
Wow...LOL...I'm thinking maybe MedHelp isn't the place for you.  You seem pretty unhappy with it all.
To Jade:  I'm pretty sure RadioAstronomyObserver said that tongue in cheek.

To others against the journals:  As a chronic pain patient, I find them therapeutic  Many days, my meds don't dent the pain.  I can get on here and not only get support and advice from my fellow pain sufferers but get into discussions and debates to help me keep my mind off the pain.  Pain distraction when all else fails.

Besides, the FREE exchange of ideas, opinions and events is one of the many reasons why our country was founded.   And not to forget freedom of assembly whether it be in person or online.  I realize we have an international community here.  But unless I'm mistaken, MedHelp is based physically in the United States.  And I believe these rights to be good for everyone.  Not available to everyone but they should be.

If all else fails, ignore the side bar or perhaps offer an option to turn it off.  I don't look at every journal mentioned nor do I look at every picture and tracker mentioned.  Not interested.  Unless I'm mistaken again, we all have that same option.  
Ha Ha Ha no Radio was being funny , sardonic didnt you get that....lol  I thought his post was great... yes how about getting rid of the photos etc   I think its great as it is unless anyones feeling threatened ...hey dont look at the journals and ignore the side bars ,,then it wont hurt you ..
Hahaha...yes, I figured he wasn't serious hence the "LOL" but I wasn't completely sure, lol...
Hey, I quit smoking 43 days ago and have had terrible insomnia since.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)
Congrats! Way to go! I am laying them down at midnight! Yes again! I will be avoiding politics for a few weeks! LOL

Out of respect for the original poster, who does have an issue with them, he  has a right to opinion as well as the rest of us. Maybe a poll for all users to see how many are distracted and think it needs changed? Then go from there. How about them apples! If there are not that many people got a problem with it all, then leave it as it is.
The OP does have his right to his opinion, just as we all do.  Vote?  lets get rid of the polls too! ;-)

Teko,  I used to look up to everyone who quit.  and then ermm.. "yell" at those who started back up again.  I my self quit many times.  2008 as prices were climbing out of control I decided to quit and was serious about it.  I made every excuse why I should and yelled at my self and ect.. ect...  I truly "wanted" to quit as opposed to simply wanting to quit.  One day I just didn't have any and haven't even had the tinniest bit of a craving since and it's been a year and two months. No cigarette cravings, no sweets cravings, no weight gains, no mood swings.  I have noticed I have a lot more time on my hands and I can smell and taste things like never before.  Jade, The worst is far behind you, ain't it great! :-)
You successful ones are my heros! Hopefully, this will be the success I so want and need! Thanks for sharing.
Totally!  No cravings here, either.  Or sweets or weight gain...so far.  I felt so awful and was SO ready this time.  Congrats on 14mos!

Teko...come and Join me! :)  I'll be checking on you tomorrow!
Now that I know the intent of your earlier post, it's cracking me up.  Sorry about earlier, I'm just loopy and so tiiiired, lol...
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.