Aa
A
A
A
Close
Insomnia - Adult Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Is External Triggering Of REM Atonia Safe?

My colleagues and I have discovered a way to trigger the onset of REM atonia without having to actually be in REM sleep using an external auditory stimulus.

We are currently testing its use in triggering sleep paralysis. Upon induction of the said stimulus the subject is temporally paralyzed for a short duration of only two minutes.

What I'm wondering is if it would be safe to continue the stimulus to achieve a more prolonged paralysis.

Would it be safe, or would there be any negative side effects?
1 Responses
Let me expound a little. The individual in question does not have to be in NREM sleep nor REM sleep. They can be awake and the atonia will still be triggered.

The subject shows no sign of negative side effects from a two minute paralysis, however, we need to know if there would be any negative side effects if we produced a continus stimulus.
Popular Resources
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.