Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Kidney stone AND back spasm?

I was recently diagnosed with back spasms in my lower right back area after going to the ER with severe pain in that area. After 5 days of bed rest and pain medication, much to my surprise, I passed a 4mm stone. Is it common for a patient to have back spasms when they have a kidney stone? The doctor said he felt and saw the back spasms. Could it have been kidney spasms if there is such a thing?
Thank you
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This is referred to as renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. What you experienced could be this pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the info doc :-)
I'm wondering what my doctor felt when he diagnosed back spasm. Was this my body trying to push out the stone? Is it possible I had back spasms as a bodily response to the kidney stone?  The pain I understand but having back spasms AND a kidney stone at the same time is confusing me. Wouldn't a simple urine test have revealed that I had a stone?
Usually when you’re pushing out a stone and passing it yourself either your kidney or the muscles in your back spasm or both. They have a suppository medication with Belladonna and opium in it that calms this. Helps better than any pain med or muscle relaxer as it hits just that Lower area to calm just your issue... if you go visit a urologist they will be able to also test your stones and tell you what they are made of and change your diet so you don’t get them anymore. I’ve been having stones since high school and I’m now 34 took til now to get a good dr so don’t quit fighting
Can anyone help?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Many times it may not be possible to diagnose a kidney stone by an urine analysis. There could be hematuria, blood in the urine when the stone is passed. The renal colic it occurs as episodes of pain recurring in nature. The pain is spasmodic in nature as the ureter is trying to push through the obstruction, which is usually a renal stone. The ureter is the tubular structure that connects the kidney to the bladder. So each time the urine tries to pass through the obstruction it causes severe pain. It can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sweating and sometimes blood in the urine. The back muscles can go into spasm in response to the apin.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Yes I’m dealing w them now. Find a urologist.