Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Time to pass kidney stones

I have very small, but numerous kidney stones.  The urologist just recommends lots of water with lemon.  Is it unusual for it to take over 2 weeks to pass these stones?  They are usually only about the size of a grain of sand.
The answer to your question is simply, No, not really. It could take a lot longer too. It depends on your personal body system, where those small stones are located in your kidney(s) and how much water you are drinking daily. Are you using a strainer to check and see when you pass a stone or stones? If you are not using a strainer, stones that small might pass and you'd never know it. Hopefully, you will pass all of those stones eventually without any real, major pain connected to their passing. You didn't say whether or not you've been having any pain or twinges of pain from any of those small stones. Are you having any pain? Keep drowning yourself internally by drinking as much water as you can handle in a day, every day. That will certainly help flush those stones out of your system, as your Urologist has told you.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Takes me on average six weeks to pass a stone that's shown some activity or causing pain .... the lemon water can be helpful, yes.  Fluids are key - the lemon helps to prevent oxalate stones from beginning to form new ones as I understand from my Urologist

C~