Kidney Stones Community
416 Members

What strategies have people had success with for posting high oxalate foods?

I have had a few kidney stones over the last few years and have been placed on a low oxalate diet. There's a lot of foods to try to remember to avoid and I wondered if people had some good tricks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  So sorry about he delay in response to your question and it is an excellent one!  Do consult with your doctor about this issue for their guidance.  Kidney stones are something we all want to avoid!  If our diet can help, good to try, right? Avoiding foods high in oxalate, a compound found in many of them, is the key to this approach. Oxalate is a leading component of many kidney stones with calcium oxalate being the most common type of stone.  Foods to avoid: Spinach
Bran flakes
Rhubarb
Beets
Potato chips
French fries
Nuts and nut butters

These are high in oxalate. Some are considered healthy so may surprise you to see them on the list of things to avoid.

Many are afraid of calcium because of the name of this type of stone, calcium oxalate, but in actuality the calcium is helpful in not allowing stones to form. So, adding calcium is part of this diet.  Things like  low fat cheeses, yogurt with berries, yogurt based dressing, etc.  And you can take a supplement but use calcium citrate for a better outcome.

A bit part of this is limiting Vitamin C. It plays a role in these stones forming, so limiting it is important. If you are taking a supplement, do not take more than 500 mg of Vitamin C daily.

Drink plenty of fluid, most of it water. But add in lemonade regularly as this is linked to less oxalate kidney stone formation.

Do not over do protein and eat too much.

Reduce sodium.  

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11066-kidney-stones-oxalate-controlled-diet