Migraines and Headaches Community

Difficulty breathing through nose possibly causing my migraines?

Since I was young I have suffered from migraines. They usually occur every other week. I wake up early in the morning with difficulty breathing through my nose, which sets off my sinuses. Then a dull headache which is soon followed by really bad nausea. My vision becomes blurry and my speech becomes slurred. This is becoming unbearable and it’s getting in the way of my doing my work – I’m supposed to be going to lectures everyday but I keep missing them because the pain is excruciating!

The headaches generally stay around my nose and eyes, the top of my neck (back), the top of my head and my temples. They become much worse when I move or when there is bright light. The nausea is horrible- my stomach muscles feel like they’re burning!

I think I get the migraines because of my nose- it always hurts. Whenever I go to the doctors, their conclusion is that I get migraines! Of course I already know this... They’ve prescribed me nasal sprays, which have had some affect but really dry the skin in my nose and this lead to more headaches. Then they prescribed me imigraine, which had absolutely no affect on the pain! And now I’m on pizotifen, which hasn’t helped- I am STILL getting these migraines!!

I don’t feel that visiting the doctors again is going to help me. I’d be interested to know the people online think. Is there anything I can do to stop my nose from hurting? It feels like the insides are swollen, rather than blocked.

I’m otherwise very healthy and do not suffer from allergies. When I was 6 I was hit in the nose by a firework pole at a firework display, which I supposed could have damaged it, but my parents never took me to have it checked.