Migraines and Headaches Community

Swollen/Bulging Vein in Forehead

Hi All

I have always had quite a prominent vein up the right side of my forehead which I don't mind at all - but about a week ago I was really straining while coughing (chest infection that is now better) a 1cm section of the vein swelled up into a small marble on the side of my head.  This has been there for a week now.  If I push it I can feel my pulse as the blood flows through it - so am certain it is not a cyst.

I went to the Doctors and he just said to leave it and it "might" clear up on its own in 4 to 6 weeks!

Can anyone tell me if it will clear up?  I have trouble believing it will as the vein walls have obviously stretched and as they are under constant blood pressure I can not see how it will shrink down to vein size on its own.

It is making me quite self conscious that people are looking at it - and a few people have said "what have you done to your head".  

Is there anything I can do to try and help it recover?  

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Male, gym fit, 48 years old.

Hi and welcome to the Migraines & Headaches Community.

I'm sorry. I honestly have no clue. It really comes down to whether or not you trust your doctor, as in my opinion, you have two choices.
1. Do like your doctor said and wait to see if it goes away in a few weeks or..
2. Get a second opinion.

Good luck to you!