Multiple Sclerosis Community

Lyrica vs. Neurontin (Gabapentin)

I've been taking neurontin for "peripheral neuropathy" for a year now, but one of the side effects is "mild confusion" which basically makes me lose focus.  I just saw my neurologist again and we're now trying Lyrica, typically prescribed for fibromyalgia.

I've only been on it two days, with a much lower dosage (was taking 1200mg gabapentin/day versus 75mg Lyrica once at night!) and much much much better results (I only take one or two 300mg gapabentins a day).  The only down side is that it makes me sleepy, but I'm sure that will wear off a bit or completely once I'm used to it.

The other thing is that while it makes me sleepy, it does not entirely combat my chronic insomnia, but it does make it easier to cope.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken or is taking this?
Treebranches,

I took a very high dose of Lyrica ( 450mg) a day I found that i had more energy well at least i was able to get up in the morning as opposed to when i first started nortriptyline. anyway the only time the tiredness caught up with me was when i would stop doing anything and sit down then i would begin to nod off. i took this for a couple of months and found that it did not change much. Lyrica was not for me it didnt entirely eradictate my pain hopefully it works for you and i hope that the sleepy side effect wears off
Thanks for the reply.  It's worth a shot I guess and we'll see how it goes!
I switched from about 900 mg. a day of nerontin to 150 mg. of Lyrica (50 mg. 3 times a day), then added a fourth Lyrica when some nerve pain got worse.  I had started on these meds for Restless Leg Syndrome, but have found they do help my nerve pain.

When I increased the dose, it made me more sleepy at bedtime for a couple of days, and then I adjusted.  

I have trouble getting quality sleep, and find that 5 mg. of Ambien helps some with that.

I had switched to the Lyrica for several months when I started having neurological symptoms that gave me extreme fatigue and some brain fog, but I don't think the unfocused brain and fatigue are related to the Lyrica in my case.

Don't know if this helps any, but its another person's story.  Good luck with the sleep; good quality sleep is good for a lot of what ails us!

Kathy
I appreciate the feedback!  Knowing that you take less Lyrica than you were taking of gabapentin makes me feel better.  This sort of thing does very person to person so I like to hear as many stories as possible.

I was on lyrica for year and an half from 75mg to 600 mg. I have fibromyalgia and took it for that but i put two stone on with it and since i've been off it lost a stone and a half since then in 6 mths, at its lower dose it makes you tired the higher the dose the more i found it kept me awke and fight my fatiuge, it helped with my muscle spsams and nerve pain but i had the worst time ever coming off it it took me 6 mths to come off it as before i tried to come off it in a month and ended up having an awfull experience but i was tring out a parkinson drug at the time which i had to come off as well.I'm now on requip and fentanal patches 100 and clonazapam and find that works better then the lyrica for me, i also got aggressive and agitated on the higher dose, i find its a drug that works well at a low dose but as you are on long term your body gets used to that and you go up and thats when the side effects like weight gain and aninxty, but the weight gain was the worst for me, i feel more foggy off it and less with it but then i've been dx with meniere's disease and suffering from vertigo so that could be combined to that.

Im glad the lyrica is working for you. can i ask what dose of the gabapentin you started on and how long it took you to get to the dose you were on?

I started on 75mg and at the end of the year i was 2 st heavier and on 600mg of lyrica which then took 6 mth to get off and lose a stone and a half.

let me now how it goes.

sam

Great feedback, I appreciate it; I have muscle spasms allegedly not related to my nerve pain and kept getting told I have RLS for the longest time until I found the neuro I'm at now.

I started taking gabapentin January 2008 300mg thrice a day for 900mg a day; while it was helping, it wasn't helping as much as it could have so I get bumped up to the 300mg four times a day for 1200mg/day total in March 2008 and I've been futzing around at that since then.  

I'm starting 75mg a day of Lyrica for two weeks, then doing 75/mg twice a day; in the meantime, I'm weaning off of gabapentin by doing 900mg/day for this week, 600mg/day the week after and 300mg/day the week after that until it's done.  Once I'm off of it, we'll see how the Lyrica does on its own--my neurologist mentioned being able to bump up Lyrica past two 75mg doses a day and/or do Lyrica and gabapentin in a combo.  The other solution was to try Cymbalta.