Neurology Forum

Brain Degenerative Disease

Can Neuofibromatosis and nasopharynxgealsquamous cell  cause this disease. Its is causing me to lose my shor term memery fast. I can't spell corrting any more. I write double wotes at time and double sentencs. I have stare sezires
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

How old are you? Many neuro-degenerative diseases are quite uncommon in younger people.

If you are young, trouble with memory can have causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Finally, certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

Given the history you provided about neurofibromatosis (?type I or II) and nasopharyngeal cancer, you may have symptoms if there is a structural lesions in the brain (such as an astrocytoma or other brain mass). In these cases, ruling out epilepsy/seizures is important.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your symptoms. I strongly suggest you share your concerns with your physician. She/he after examining you and obtaining a history may choose to recommend referral to a specialist as necessary. You may also benefit from an MRI (if you haven’t had one yet) and an EEG.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease