Neurology Forum

Did I have a seizure?

Re: Did I have a seizure?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF MD mdf on March 13, 1998 at 10:28:20:

In Reply to: Did I have a seizure? posted by Dana on March 10, 1998 at 15:36:39:

: I went to the dr. the other day and had an EEG.  During the last part of the test when they flashed a light in my eyes the began twitching and jerking back and forth and also my body had some discomfort and movement in it as well.  For the rest of the day I was weak and had no energy.  The neurologist said that he thought I was having seizures and this was the reason I was having an EEG.  
  1.  Could the EEG have caused that?
  2.  Does this mean that that could happen anytime given the light and noise around me?
  3.  What could be the cause of these and also what can be done to stop them?  
  Thank you!  Dana
=
In routine EEGs, flashing strobe lights are used ("photic stimulation") as well as hyperventilation because they can sometimes produce certain EEG patterns which can help in the diagnosis of seizure disorders. Sometimes people feel uncomfortable while these procedures are performed.
If you truly had a seizure during the EEG, there would have been some indication on the tracing itself that one was going on. Therefore, your neurologist (or the one who reads the EEG tracing) can answer your question directly. There are some circumstances in which a seizure may go undetected on EEG, but interpretation of those situations is complicated and requires evaluation by an epilepsy specialist.
It is hard to predict what would happen to you in everyday life if you were exposed to, say, a flashing strobe light. The EEG tracing itself may help your neurologist give you an answer.
Hope this helps. CCF MD mdf

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease