Neurology Community
45.2k Members
Avatar universal

Errors reading/speaking

A bit background, I'm totally a hypochondriac, I'm constantly scaring myself into making symptoms worse.  A couple weeks ago I had a constant pressure headache, in my forehead, temples, behind my eyes mostly.  It would come and go.  It was at that point I started worrying and noticing that I was making (more?) errors then normal when speaking.  Errors like occasionally lisping, combining words (e.g. Pour a full drink would come out as Pull a four drink), sometimes using a similar word that I meant that didn't quite fit. But I would instantly realize I made a mistake and correct it.  I also realized I was making small errors reading.  I'd add small words (like "to" or "for") to sentences, combine words, read a word as a similar looking word at first, pull in words from nearby sentences and insert them in the sentence.  Again, I realize the mistake and correct it almost instantly.  Now this has been going on for a week and a half, sometimes it seems worse then others.  I also sometimes feel slightly dizzy.  I thought it could be caused by my glasses being out of date so I got a new prescription but haven't received them yet.  I went to my doctor but he just told me to call him in 2 weeks if its still bothering me.  Should I go get a second opinion? Thanks
2 Responses
Avatar universal
I would wait for the 2 weeks. Because you already have a history of being a bit of a hypochondriac, and the fact that you focused immediately on messing up words once you did it once shows a bit of anxiety. If you focus on something you will consciously or subconsciously make it worse. Try to relax and do something you enjoy. If your symptoms persist in 2 weeks then of course, you have every right to seek that 2nd opinion. Good luck to you.
144586 tn?1284666164
Clearly you need a neurological evaluation to include an MRI and an MRA. Sometimes these problems have an unknown etiology (which may never be identified) and sometimes they have structural origin, such as a tumor or growth. This has to be done by a neurologist and not a general practicioner.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease