Neurology Community

Numbness and Multiple Sclerosis

Hello.. I am new here and am concerned about some things going on in my body. I am a 43 year old female.

On 5/29 I could feel the beginning of a bladder infection. It was late at night so I was just going to go to bed. I got up one more time to pee and the inside of my thighs were numb.  The next day they were still numb and remain numb. Since that time, my abdomen is now numb and the back of my lower legs are numb. I have had some tingling in my arms but it is not constant. A few times I had what felt like electric fire sensation in my arms. I have also been having periods of facial numbness. I am now having random tingling in my feet and arms and there is a cooling sensation with then tingling.

I do have fibromyalgia and went and saw the rheumatologist that week. They said that this was not related to Fibro. They referred me to a neurologist and I am waiting for the appt which is two weeks away. I am a little heavy so had all my routine blood work done and it all came back ok except for my cholesterol being a little high.

After I completed an 8 day course of antibiotics for the UTI, within 24 hours I could feel the same bladder pressure and that my bladder was not emptying. I am now on round two of antibiotics.

Any thoughts?

I did post this in neurology, but haven’t had any sort of response so I thought I would try here since my rheumatologist mentioned that he was concerned about MS. I added a little bit more to this post since more has happened today.
Hi there,

Honestly to me it sounds too much too fast for a neurological condition like MS, could be more peripheral nervous system related though eg a structural spinal issue, peri-diabetes/diabetes etc  

Hope that helps......JJ

PS: Let us know what happen's at your appointment
I was concerned that it could be nerve issues maybe related to diabetes, but I was tested for it and everything came back normal.  I’m not sure what to think but I am worried that this just keeps going on and on.
I know a few people who were obviously experiencing type 2 diabetic related symptoms and had signs of peripheral neuropathy but because their bloods were still normal they didn't get diagnosed. Once their tests confirmed type 2 diabetes those same symptoms were blamed on their diabetes, so i always think if type 2 diabetes is a genuinely possible explanation, that its always going to be in your best interest to assume you need to get on top of your weight now rather than wait until your health gets any worse and doing something about it is 100 times harder.......JJ  
Aside from an A1C blood draw, which I have already done, what other test is there to check for diabetes?

I am on a low carb, high protein (lean protein) diet plan now and have lost almost 50 pounds.  I try to walk everyday for exercise.

From my understanding the A1C test isn’t as sensitive as the fasting plasma glucose test or the oral glucose tolerance test, i don't know if that is true or not but if it is, the A1C would possibly identify fewer people with diabetes so you might need to consider if seeing an Endo would be benefitial to you..

Congratulations on loosing 50 pounds or 22.4 kg over my side of the world, what ever your doing must be working :D

Cheers..........JJ
Well I don’t have diabetes. I saw the neuro and she is concerned about ms. She sent me for MRIs of the brain, cervical and thoracic and did a scan with a NeuroQuant. She also is doing a ton of blood work. I went and completed all the testing. Now it’s just hurry up and wait. I am still numb. I have had some other transient tingling here and there.  I hope she can figure it out.