Neurology Forum

Question about using Ritalin

Hi, I wanted to know how appropiate it is to medicate a child with attention deficit disorder (non hyper) with Ritalin.  I believe that Ritalin is recommended to ADHD children because it helps to control de hyperactivity but I don't know what benefits does it have with ADD children.
Dear Yanira Figueroa:
Yes, ritalin is used for both disorders.  Ritalin helps a child focus.  The lack of being able to focus on a topic or situation is common to both ADD and ADHD.  Ritalin, in a sense does not treat hyperactivity, but the inattention.  ADD is a common disorder that should be helped by ritalin.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease