Neurology Forum

Re: Sudden onset vertigo and hearing loss

Posted By TJ on April 06, 1999 at 12:41:21:

In Reply to: Sudden onset vertigo and hearing loss posted by TJ on April 06, 1999 at 11:22:18:

I am a white, male, 36 years of age previously in general good health.  Two months ago I developed severe sudden onset vetigo and hearing loss w/ tinnitus.  Hearing loss continued to decline over 72 hr period.  Hearing test after 3rd week indicated hearing loss of 70% left 100% right. Very gradual improvement since onset.  After two months I still have noticable balance dysfunction, tinnitus, some hearing loss, fatigue, and diminished ability to concentrate.  Treatment consisted of Steroids; 1 injection and next week began 12 day series, and Diazepam for dizziness.  Results of all blood work were within normal limits.  I am now able to get up and around, returned to work in a limited capacity.  I have difficulties walking if in a crowded area or when surrounded by movement.  Also have difficulty wallking in a moderate wind.  Can not distinguish direction of sounds.  I have extreem difficulty listening to conversations in a crowded room or when there is moderate background noise.  Little to no improvement in any of the mentioned symtoms in the past week.  ENT did not try to make a difinitive diagnosis, Family Dr. suggested a viral infection of the inner ear.  Should I be concerned about any other possible causes?  Any additional tests that should be run?  Thanks for any assistance you can provide!    

I inadvertantly omited my history of migraine w/aura and Degenerative disc disease.  I have not had any problems with the migraines in the last year.  I did have a significant headache the night my vertigo started but it was more toward the back of my head and there were no visual disturbances.  I awoke in the middle of the night with the headace and some numbness in the face and lips but both symptoms were gone when I awoke in the am and have not returned.
   The migraine headaches were treated with Imetrex which seemed to increase the frequency and intensity of the attacks.  Switched to Propranolol for some time with good results.  Discontinued use of that about six moths ago with no problems.  I do not take any meds regularly for my back.  Motrin / Neproxin when back/leg pain is regular and significant. The history of migraine was in part the reason I posted this under neurology.  Sorry for the ommision.
TJ

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease