Neurology Forum

Re: stroke

Subject: Re: stroke

Forum: The Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum

Two years ago I had a carotid artery surgery which resulted in a severe brain hemmorhage  which has left me with little use of my right side.  Sept. of last year I had an ultrasound of the same artery and it showed 50% blockage.  The only medication I am on is an aspirin a day.  I feel treatment should more aggressive considering the severity of my previous CVA.  Also, I am wondering if your hospital takes medicare.  I will be eligible in July of this year.  I am really scared that something is going to happen with either this artery or another, I have two others that are blocked, too.  I have seen two neurologists and neither have offered a course of treatment that I am satisfied with.  What would you think a good  prevention treatment would be? Thank you,Kay

Dear Kay:
Sorry to hear about your stroke.  The data suggests that aspirin a day is enough treatment for your condition.  I know that it sounds like you should have treatment such a coumadin but since you only have 50% blockage, the aspirin is the best choice.  If you have comorbid atrial fibrillation then coumadin would be the medication of choice.  How is the other carotid?  Yes, CCF
takes medicare.  From what you tell on the posting, aspirin is the choice for your condition and state of occlusion.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Follow Ups:

stroke kd 4/13/1999
(7)

Re: stroke CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/13/1999
(0)

Re: stroke passerby 4/13/1999
(5)

stroke CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/13/1999
(4)

Re: stroke kd 4/14/1999
(3)

stroke CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/15/1999
(2)

Re: stroke kd 4/15/1999
(1)

stroke CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/15/1999
(0)

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease