Neurology Forum

'Shimmering' vision

I have noticed that when I look at something with close-together vertical or horizontal lines (an air conditioner, menu signs such as McDonald's, text at a distance, stacks of books or CDs, etc.) my vision "shimmers" and the object appears as if it is jumping around in a quite noticeable and disturbing way.  I do not get this effect generally, only with certain types of objects.  Any ideas as to what this possibly could be would be most helpful.  I don't think it is opthalmic migraine because it is not episodic in nature.
Most likely your vision is within normal limits, as the eye can play visual tricks in the particular settings as you describe

I cannot substitute for a formal opinion though so you should seek the advice of an ophthalmologist also

Good luck
hi, i have the same problem. do you notice it go away if you cover one of your eyes? mine does. i went to the eye doctor who said it was probably my astigmatism. i got contacts and it has improved quite a bit. he explained that it is your brain searching for focus  and trying to center, because each eye is giving different info. he said he didn't think it originated in the brain, but from my vision being uncorrected. i will see how it goes. good luck. feel free to reply. thanks
hi! about 4 years i noticed floaters, black spots etc. I also noticed flickering vision & shapes. I went to neurologists who didn't bother cause they thouht i was fine and also eyedoctors that checked my retina and everything was great!I learnt how to avoid them and i didn't bother. Now im 23 and i had a bad period, since i had university exams, period and i'm also having anemia since born. I recently started noticing them again, expecially the flickering vision and moving little shapes in front of my eyes. They are constantly there. I also had a migrain condition that happend a year ago: Suddently i started seeing a lightening wavery image that was getting bigger and bigger, my central vision became blurry and that shape like thunderstarted moving out of my eyesight little by little in the next 10 minutes. After that i had a huge headacke. Never happend again though. What bothers me now is the flickering light i constantly have, especially when i look on walls. It doesn't bother me when i look on coloured images especially tv computer etc. I also notice that strange shape in front of my vision, constantly but because it is kind of transparent, if i dont concentrate on it, it goes away. I tried to put them out of my system by avoiding them and i managed that quite well. But after a hard day at examination department at university and little sleep and lots of tiredness, i started noticing them again. When i am with company and doing fun staff though, i dont care about them, when im alone studying, i might notice them.I went to the eyedoctor and said im fine, it could be vitreous. Do you thing i should search it a bit more, or keep living like the last 4 years, having all that but avoiding them and being ok?
thenks!i would apreciate an answer esp by email! :)
You are right, the shimmering does stop or at least improve if I cover one eye.  And I know in the past I was told I have an astigmatism.  Very interesting.  Thank you.
sorry about my post, cause im new at the forum & i thought made a brand new question but it was mistakely put in your page :P :P
Anyway, if you read my story, i have lots of floaters and other staff but when i don't think of them i dont notice them. My first notice in them was bad luck, since i first noticed black spots that came and go -4 years ago- and after that i started paying too much attention to everything i saw, although i went to the eyedoctor& i was fine. Some of those i noticed might be because of my great attention i gave to them! Because i'm a person that becomes very scared about things in general, sometimes i don't know whether i really have a problem or its something i made up :P But what i can advise you is that after you do all the medical tests you want, stop paying attention to all weird but normal things you see! :) :)
well, i have had everything under the sun checked out on me(mainly due to a problem i have with daily dizziness.) and all the docs say i am perfectly healthy, so as far as the eyes go, i have just learned to ignore it most of the time. sometimes i think our bodies just do weird stuff, and docs dont know why. i would look into it a bit, but i think for the most part, docs usually know what they are talking about, and it just gets too frustrating to keep having them tell you youre fine, after you give them a ton of money, but you still have the problems. i also have migraines occassionally, and i do also have some anxiety probs. let me know if you come up with anything. good luck!
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease